Beefing up an axle- what methods could i use?

LittleSparky, top project, but my advice to you is to re-engineer those axles before continuing with the project. You'll have to do it anyway, might as well bite the bullet and get it sorted now.

Mild steel or any low carbon steel just won't cut it. At that diameter, consider 4140 or EN25. While you re-engineer, consider a differential as well. Then you'll be far better off in the long run

HTH
Trevor

Brother I could give you all kinda ideas for it. I have spent thousands of hours researching and building suspension. Sadly, none of them would work with what you have.

If I was looking to do this on the cheap, for pleasure rides. Nothing to hard core and not off road..... I would have started with a clapped out 4x4 atv and pulled the center diff, axles, hubs, and rear arms. Parted the rest out and broke even. Even a swing arm, axle, hubs and sprocket would work. But I'm a fan of independent.

A spool is a shaft with bearings on the end. Put a sprocket and brake rotor on it and either a flange for your axle or use a splined shaft for splined axle or knuckles

Thank you all for your input and help it has been greatly appreciated.

Just a quick last minute thought, would putting a tube that connects from the frame, over to the outside of the wheel strengthen it up enough? So it would go from in-line with the axle on the frame, straight over the top of the wheel to the outside of the hub, then have another piece of tube connected to that which would bend around (clearing the tire) and connecting up with the very rear of the extended frame (as seen in the CAD drawing of the rear frame set-up)

Otherwise I have come to the conclusion that i need to start this rear axle arrangement all over again.

So say that i am starting off again, i really really want to use my spoked wheels as this bike is more for show and a smooth ride on the road then for tearing up anything, also where i live there is not a hill in sight so i wont be putting any side pressure on the spoked rims.

Although i really want an A-arm system is it really practical for 95% of on-road use for the money it would cost me? i have spent $350 on this bike so far (lucky to get a motor, clutch and wheels (not spoked) for free) and hope to not spend anymore then $750 in total, give or take a bit. So in saying that does anyone want to put forward how they would do it, considering they could start fresh, used the spoked wheels, spends 95% of time on road (other 5% in my driveway) and has a budget of around $400 to do so?

i know I'm asking heaps here but any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks
little_sparky

If you want a ams, build a arms. You need bout 12ft of tube, 5 bungs 5 heims, One long bushing for the lower outer or two heims for the lower outer x2 either way. 4 U joints, 2 rods/tubes to go with the joints to make your axles. Two pillow bearings, a shaft that firts your U joints and bearings, flange and sprocket

Well under 400

More or less like this pic. Minus the jack shaft he has over the spool. On road you can get away with a single a arm. With more then a few inches travel you induce some real nasty camber gains though.

44.jpg

If you have two arms, you do one heim top outer arm. Two heims lower, or one longer bushing. Do you have enough meat to drill them wheels and bore them for bearings? If so you can make them work on a hub

44.jpg

So by putting the wheels on an axle you mean cutting the bit that's sticking out and off as close the the flange as possible, then drilling from the inner flange to the outer flange and putting bearings in there? Beause if this is the case I don't think I have enough meat... But if I do that, what turns the wheels? I know noob question sorry but I have never worked with cv's or uv's before.

And so if I do go this way, does that mean I won't need a differential because I have a spool? Or is a differential still an option, And a good one aswell? (If so, does anyone have any links to some worth looking at?)

Thanks
Little_sparky

Last edited:
Found three more photos

image0-001.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpg

enjoy Fixit

image0-001.jpg image1.jpg image2.jpg

So by having suspension, will this cause less strain on the axle? Because if it doesn't there's really no point because all it will do is put more sideways strain on the wheel and spoked wheels don't exactly enjoy that?

Thanks
Little_sparky

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-...xles/AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL-W-SPROCKET-13-1500.axd

For even a never hardly used show trike you should use a diff... With out when you try to turn and drag one wheel and fight you trying to turn it by trying to go strait.. Drive one wheel and I don't know? The spoke wheel thing was with motorcycle wheel . I just brought that up kind of wondering if anyone else had any knowledge of it. They could been Honda 50s as far as I know. Here cheap shocks ...Not good just cheap. Would work for show trike.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Truck-.../COILOVER-SHOCK-ABSORBER-ASSEMBLY-28-1720.axd

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Back