Are drill bits consumables?

IMO Drill Doctors are garbage. That's why Darex dropped the line after a year or so. I have had Black Diamond but it only went up to 1/2" and I never could find a point splitter. Now I use Darex M series and I take damn good care of my chucks because when they freeze up you are done.

If I spin a drill in a chuck the drill shank WILL be scored. I reverse the bit and chuck it in the lathe with the shank sticking out, spin it up and stone the shank smooth.

I buy 10 packs of 1/8" double ended starter bits. I use those hard and throw them away. Bigger, I buy as needed. Silver & Deming bits work way better if they are sharpened well.
Keep i mind the "Drill Doctor" is targeting an audience that probably sharpens half a dozen drills a month, not a commercial shop that goes through a hundred or more in the same time period. My first drill sharpener was a Drill Doctor 750. I purchased it when I was in a pinch for a sharpener. I had purchased a Darex M1 machine from the company I worked for, but it was stolen before I could pick it up. I needed a machine in a hurry, so I opted for the DD as a short-term fix. It worked fine sharpening 50 or more drills a month for several years. Finally, it wore to the point it was no longer useable. I had given up on finding a good sharpener at a reasonable price, so I just started buying drills in bulk.

A year or so later a friend asked if I was interested in purchasing his Black Diamond model 65 drill grinder. The model 65 is unique in that it was built for the military. It has a 220/440-volt 3 phase 1/3 hp motor and can sharpen fractional bits to 3/4". He had bought it as part of an auction lot from a National Guard repair depot that was closing down. We arrived at a satisfactory price and the deal was completed.

I'm not sure why the repair depot even had this particular machine. They didn't have 3 phase power, so it sat in the storeroom from 1974 to around 2015 when it was auctioned off. It was missing a few bushings and the part of the point splitter, but otherwise in like new shape. Since I've had the machine, I've sharpened well over 1,000 drills with it. I kept the old DD750 and use the point splitting feature when needed.

Attachments

• DSC09987.JPG
    DSC09987.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC09988.JPG
    DSC09988.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 20
Keep i mind the "Drill Doctor" is targeting an audience that probably sharpens half a dozen drills a month, not a commercial shop that goes through a hundred or more in the same time period. My first drill sharpener was a Drill Doctor 750. I purchased it when I was in a pinch for a sharpener. I had purchased a Darex M1 machine from the company I worked for, but it was stolen before I could pick it up. I needed a machine in a hurry, so I opted for the DD as a short-term fix. It worked fine sharpening 50 or more drills a month for several years. Finally, it wore to the point it was no longer useable. I had given up on finding a good sharpener at a reasonable price, so I just started buying drills in bulk.

A year or so later a friend asked if I was interested in purchasing his Black Diamond model 65 drill grinder. The model 65 is unique in that it was built for the military. It has a 220/440-volt 3 phase 1/3 hp motor and can sharpen fractional bits to 3/4". He had bought it as part of an auction lot from a National Guard repair depot that was closing down. We arrived at a satisfactory price and the deal was completed.

I'm not sure why the repair depot even had this particular machine. They didn't have 3 phase power, so it sat in the storeroom from 1974 to around 2015 when it was auctioned off. It was missing a few bushings and the part of the point splitter, but otherwise in like new shape. Since I've had the machine, I've sharpened well over 1,000 drills with it. I kept the old DD750 and use the point splitting feature when needed.
All drill bit I sharpen was on 6" bench grinder. Did a Drill Doctor that sat shelf never used.

I have sharpener 9/16" drill down the shank. A lot of sharpening.
3/16" typically I sharpen but life end sooner than shank as it was broken.

I would buy each year 144 drill bits and hope last a year. They where sharpen a lot.

Dave

I know I've defended the Drill Doctor for a long time here, and it's still a tool I'd rather have than be without. Once you figure out all the little quirks, they produce a good point. The Black Diamond and Darex machines are in another league entirely. The prices on those have really gone up over the years. It seems like not long ago a Darex was a $500 item, but that's just me showing my age. At today's price, I think the DD is a solid value for many needs. As much as I'd like a dedicated machine that requires no setup time vice the D-bit grinder attachment, I always end up considering how much $2k will buy in the way of drill bits. While it is hard to shake that thought, I am still green with envy over those of you that have Black DIamonds in your shop.

I know I've defended the Drill Doctor for a long time here, and it's still a tool I'd rather have than be without. Once you figure out all the little quirks, they produce a good point. The Black Diamond and Darex machines are in another league entirely. The prices on those have really gone up over the years. It seems like not long ago a Darex was a $500 item, but that's just me showing my age. At today's price, I think the DD is a solid value for many needs. As much as I'd like a dedicated machine that requires no setup time vice the D-bit grinder attachment, I always end up considering how much $2k will buy in the way of drill bits. While it is hard to shake that thought, I am still green with envy over those of you that have Black DIamonds in your shop.
Yep, I have the Original 750 model and the extra larger bit holder.

Was thinking about those that live miles from a town and / or also working on a weekend.
Having the drill doctor has made the difference in being able to drill a particular size for me at least a few times. Installing a receiver hitch etc..
A dull bit imo can be more dangerous than a sharp one. Bloody knuckles hand drilling at a very uncomfortable angle under a vehicle....
I can think of a project drilling several holes in SS that took it's toll on several bits as well.

I look at the bit under magnification and if I don't like the look of the DD grind, well do it again, with a marker on the surface to be cut first till I remember the pressure and wrist action.
Admittedly, It is not a really precise consistent method, but for the price and back in business results, I am not complaining or throwing it out and just using a bench grinder.
The DD's selectable grit diamond stones can give a really decent finish.
I test immediately on some mild steel and get to work again.

ps. While back I bought a cobalt HF Warrior 115 piece number/ letter set.
Cannot say I am impressed mainly that HF stuffed several different locations with the same diameter bits.
Of course by the time I noticed, the return date had passed. The whole point of buying letter set goes out the window with having several missing diameters, at least they are mostly straight and they do cut harder steels OK.

I've sharpened maybe 150-200 drills between 5 and 19mm on my drill doctor 750.
It's obviously built to a price point, ie not the highest quality and the mechanism is a bit loose.
With that said, it has done a wonderful job on all these drills and saved me much more than the initial investment.
It's also much less hassle to get perfect grinds on a 750 than it is by hand with a bench grinder which is worth a lot to me.
Once you understand it's quirks and work around them, it's perfect for a hobbyist.

Would I rather have a "real" sharpening system? Yes, but not when it's 10x the price. :grin:

I've sharpened maybe 150-200 drills between 5 and 19mm on my drill doctor 750.
It's obviously built to a price point, ie not the highest quality and the mechanism is a bit loose.
With that said, it has done a wonderful job on all these drills and saved me much more than the initial investment.
It's also much less hassle to get perfect grinds on a 750 than it is by hand with a bench grinder which is worth a lot to me.
Once you understand it's quirks and work around them, it's perfect for a hobbyist.

Would I rather have a "real" sharpening system? Yes, but not when it's 10x the price. :grin:
I was about to order one (a year or so ago) until I saw the reviews from Mr. Pete (mrpete222) and Mark (Winky's Workshop) on the Vevor machine… only a US$100.00 more and looked like a better made machine…

I still have not pulled the trigger (well, it was out of stock at the time, so that helped me with impulse buying).

I see that a new version is now available…

Last edited:

I sharpen by hand, but have been considering a Drill Dr 750x for the bits that I have trouble with getting it right. Mostly small bits. What wears down on the DD 750? I know the diamonds are available, I also want it for Masonry bits.

Also, Drill Doctor 750x can do split point... I do not believe the Vevor can do that... not sure if it matters much... Nevermind, from this review, it does split point as well...

Another comparison:

Last edited:
so my problem with the vevor and the similar machines is they don't do the small bits. And those are the ones I find difficult to get the grind on... I suffer from off center, or poor relief. Smaller are just harder to see, and not a lot of length to hold on to. I don't think the vevor will do my numbered bits, it just looks like it starts higher than 3mm even though that's what it says...

so my problem with the vevor and the similar machines is they don't do the small bits. And those are the ones I find difficult to get the grind on... I suffer from off center, or poor relief. Smaller are just harder to see, and not a lot of length to hold on to. I don't think the vevor will do my numbered bits, it just looks like it starts higher than 3mm even though that's what it says...
Valid point, did not realize that... I was hoping for one machine that could do them all...

Back