Are drill bits consumables?

You can replace the grinding wheel, but other than that they are consumable - all plastic. I purchased the cheapest model ($50) and it works great. When it wears out, if I don't wear out first, I will get a new one.

The title says it all.

What's you're opinion?

Are drills..or drill bits...or twist drills.... consumables?

I say anything under 1/2 inch are consumables and should be tossed and replaced. Anything over has a chance at being long-term tooling.
Drill bits are expensive. At least for quality ones.the smaller they are the harder t shsrpen.i can sharpen down to 1/16 but not put that. Old hands.

I just goy the latest Garrett Wade catalog in the mail. They sell a couple of multiple drill bit sets that contain lots of extras of the smallest sizes.

Drill bits are certainly consumable, but that does not mean that they cannot have a long life. I have 2 drill doctors. The 750 fancy complicated one that I only use when I need a special tip, and a 350 which works well from 1/8 to 1/2. It only takes seconds to sharpen a drill with it. Drills too small for the Drill Doctor get tossed when they do not cut. Because I have many used drills, if I sharpen one and it still does not cut well then I just toss it.

The title says it all.

What's you're opinion?

Are drills..or drill bits...or twist drills.... consumables?

I say anything under 1/2 inch are consumables and should be tossed and replaced. Anything over has a chance at being long-term tooling.
If I am doing something for which I am charging I consider anything I need to sharpen as a consumable. If I have to sharpen it, it has a limited life span and the sharpening time has to be accounted for. Just my oppinion, I could be wrong...

In production environment, the cutting tools are consumables, and the life is budgeted.

So replacements are part of the quote.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We were taught that it's a DRILL MOTOR and a drill bit.......lol
There are a million different ways to describe the piece of equipment and its attachments. Personally, as long as long as it states what you're intending to do I could care less. However, there are some on a couple other boards that are adamant that the tool is a Drill Motor, and the attachment is a Drill. You're likely to get chastised at the very least and possibly vilified if the word bit follows the word drill.

Back