Are drill bits consumables?

HoboMachinist77

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The title says it all.

What's you're opinion?

Are drills..or drill bits...or twist drills.... consumables?

I say anything under 1/2 inch are consumables and should be tossed and replaced. Anything over has a chance at being long-term tooling.

I used to share exactly your view, but I'm a lot better at sharpening now. That said, tiny drills just aren't worth the effort. Anything over 3/8" can start to cost real money, so they're definitely worth sharpening, imo. Still, if the flute gets chewed up, or the shaft has seriously slipped, I'll replace it. At the end of the day even the big ones are consumables, it's just how much extra life you can get before you consider them "consumed".

GsT

Technically they are in the consumable category. However, they can be sharpened numerous times before they need to be discarded. They're in the same category as end mills. They too can be sharpened a number of times before they are no longer useable.

Dozens of companies sell drill sharpening equipment. Cheap grinders can be purchased for less than a couple hundred dollars while top of the line equipment goes for several thousand dollars. Personally, I sharpen all letter drills, fractionals down to 1/16" and number drills to #60. In years past I was sharpening 50 or more drills a month. I wore out a Drill Doctor and replaced it with a Black Diamond model 65 drill grinder.

As a kid I worked at a GM assembly plant. One of the jobs I had was to drill the front fenders of Chevy and GMC trucks for the bolt on chrome moldings and trim. They sharpened bits down to the point that there was only one complete circular flute remaining. I'm guessing each bit was sharpened several hundred times before being discarded.

Here are a few pictures of my Black Diamond drill grinder. It usually takes less than a minute to sharpen a dull bit. A little longer if the tip is chipped or it needs to be a split point. It can sharpen any angle from 80 to 140 degrees.

Attachments

• DSC09987A.jpg
    DSC09987A.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC09988A.JPG
    DSC09988A.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 88
Drills under 1/4" you can buy a 12 pack.
Larger than 1/4" get expensive for a quality bit, i.e. - good hss, properly ground tip and little run out. Usually this is an American, europe or japan manufacture.
The outer cutting lip can be gone after 4 or 5 uses-check at 25x sometimes.
For that reason I sharpen my drill bits and will turn down the shank if it is scored. A scored shank can be out a hundredth in run out and turning it down will get it to one or two thousandths.

<1/4”+/- can be repurposed, but for larger get a Drill Doctor (can sharpen the smaller ones, but they’re a pain).
+3 on letting the machine handle it.

In all my years of working with "tool room" tools (50+) a 1/4 inch and smaller was considered expendable. I have quite a collection of smaller sizes where I hung on to those small sizes. For a home shop, anything above about 1/16 inch is a keeper. However, once a drill has been resharpened a few times, the web gets thicker and at some point doesn't cut as well as it should.

I use small drills for my model building. Down to Nr 80, 0.0135. I can, and do when they survive, sharpen them. I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and a strong bench glass and a pin vise to hold the drill. Not something I would recommend to any other, but I do my own.

For many years, I sharpened drills on a bench grinder. But my not so steady hands and aging eyes have sent me to a fixture. I have a couple of Drill Doctors, and a commercial machine that works the same way, just bigger. They get the larger drills now, Nr 75 or so and larger.

Technically they are in the consumable category. However, they can be sharpened numerous times before they need to be discarded. They're in the same category as end mills. They too can be sharpened a number of times before they are no longer useable.

Dozens of companies sell drill sharpening equipment. Cheap grinders can be purchased for less than a couple hundred dollars while top of the line equipment goes for several thousand dollars. Personally, I sharpen all letter drills, fractionals down to 1/16" and number drills to #60. In years past I was sharpening 50 or more drills a month. I wore out a Drill Doctor and replaced it with a Black Diamond model 65 drill grinder.

As a kid I worked at a GM assembly plant. One of the jobs I had was to drill the front fenders of Chevy and GMC trucks for the bolt on chrome moldings and trim. They sharpened bits down to the point that there was only one complete circular flute remaining. I'm guessing each bit was sharpened several hundred times before being discarded.

Here are a few pictures of my Black Diamond drill grinder. It usually takes less than a minute to sharpen a dull bit. A little longer if the tip is chipped or it needs to be a split point. It can sharpen any angle from 80 to 140 degrees.
Wow. That's a good story. Thanks for that. I've always been fortunate enough to just have them replaced at work...no cost to me! But now I'm starting my own hobby/job shop at home..it'll be my dime now ha..wanted others input..wisdom and so on.

Back