Anyone Have A Toolmaster Mt ?

I don't see a capacitor downstream from the diode so Im curious if it was deleted prior or never was wired in, I don't see the symbol for a cap in the schematics.

Relay coils and clutch coils should work fine with that pulsating DC, so no capacitor is required.
The electromagnetic clutches may just need a cleaning.
It sounds like you're on the right track.

-brino

I about had a damn heart attack! after screwing around for a few hours. shooting out the transformer again, bypassing the transformer all together. I fired the machine up and hit the feed and the table moved!!!!!! hit the rapid and it shot across!!! I can't replicate it. It was only working for about 45 seconds. It started working after I was shooting out the bridge rectifier. So I took it off the machine and shot it on the bench and it appears there may be a short in it. I have to source another one. Boy that was exciting!!!!!

Semikron doesnt make that original bridge rectifier. I found a LP brand 100a/1600v full wave on eBay and a 50a/800v Semikron brand. I ordered both just incase. Im pretty sure for this application any rectifier will work since I'm only dealing with 120vAC line voltage.

I noticed something that is weird on the rectifier. With no load and no clutch wires hooked up to it on, it gives a bouncing voltage of 60 to 80 VDC. (which is low) but when I apply a load to it, it gives me no voltage. From what I can tell that is also indicative of a short.

Ill post back one I get the new parts in and test them out

Short, sorry about the delay getting back on the forum. I thought I had a wiring schematics on the machine, but I don't. The schematic is on my lathe. It looks like you've got the wiring schematic that you need & the knowledge to test & trouble shoot. Sorry I'm not much help.

No worries at all Philco. I totally understand being busy. I believe Im on the right track and within a few days I should be able to rule out the rectifier

In the mean time I did get the VS working again. Looks like someone, somehow bent the connecting rod between the hand wheel and the adjusting screw. I made a new one and shrink fit the screw and the end piece and its working well now. even appears the tachometer might be working. I have an email out to LongIsland Indicator to see if that type of gauge is something they could work on.

Now Im in a holding pattern until the rectifier shows up this week.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

UPDATE

SHES WORKING!!!

got the BR in the mail today and beat feat to the shop to get it wired in. Its much larger than the original so I will have to come up with a smart way to mount it inside the cabinet. I shot it out and Im getting 140VDC on the rectified side, and drops down to 104VDC under load (when the clutches engage)

The power feed and the rapid both work great! I did find what appears to be a stripped gear on one of the feed rate settings. B3 (10 1/4 IPM) setting. It skips and makes a nasty noise in feed but rapid works fine. Ill have to strip the gear box down and check it out. I didnt noticed a bad gear in there when I had the face plate off but i certainly could have missed it since it was still mounted on the machine and wasn't easy to view inside.

Man I am pumped! I took some video and will post it once its uploaded.

I still have to find an OE time delay to replace the bad one but until then I just have to just the feed down and then rapid instead of just hitting the rapid button while the feed is engaged. Or just shut the spindle down.

The trip dogs and that circuit do work also which is nice to know.

Thanks again for everyones help!!!

heres the video. you can see that in B3 position the wheel doesnt move and the sound gets nastier..

Back