Anyone get venison yet ?

Yes, the Keys have all kinds of strict environmental protections... even for some trees/plants would be considered nuisance species in other places.

Yes, the Keys have all kinds of strict environmental protections... even for some trees/plants would be considered nuisance species in other places.
Yep, spent 5 yrs of Navy time down there.

All of the ones in my area live in the mountains above the 5200 foot elevation mark. So be prepared to do some serious hiking to get to their haunts. In our area the mountains have bears and mountain lions, so you need to keep your head on swivel... so YOU don't become a tasty treat. Deer tags are hard to come by in Arizona, and are usually sold out by June (lottery for some).

Arizona is one of the states which is "airgun friendly", so my choice of hunting tool is an upgraded Benjamin Bulldog (145 grain .357 Nosler Extreme slug air rifle). For those who have spent decades away from Air Rifles, they have dramatically changed in both accuracy and take-down power, with some air rifles hitting 800 foot pounds of energy in their .50 caliber slug version. But alas, I missed my window to get a tag in June... so I can only listen to the stories of others who were better prepared.

5200 feet. Even though I was a pilot, I always found that my lung capacity seemed crappy. Heck, I would get winded walking back to the lavatory in the airplane and our cabin altitude was only about 8000ft (at 39,000ft). One of our pilots had to be flown out of Telluride because she got altitude sickness just walking around on the ground.

I will have to look into these air rifles you speak of. Sounds fun!
My muzzleloader shoots 375 grain hollow points in front of 150 grains of Hodgen FFG powder. Have wrecked two scopes so far because the recticles have broken free. Yeah, that gun makes you pay attention. LOL

I had 12 preference points for elk hunting in Colorado. Never went. Brothers wanted me to go but did not want to spend the $5k on a guided hunt. My brother Jerry kept bugging me. They (my two brothers) went a number of times with me always thinking I would rather spend that $5k on equipment. Brother Jerry got brain cancer and passed away about 3 years ago. Now I kick myself for not going. How stupid I was. Memories would be worth more than that money. I let all of my points expire.

I will be able to help you out on the scope issue. Air rifles are known to wreck scopes as well. Generally speaking, the ones which are rated for air rifles, are also rated for the REALLY big boy regular rifles as well. They have to build the reticles tough due to "reverse recoil" that some air rifles (spring-air) produce.

The highest powered air rifles are "Pre-Charged Pneumatic" (PCP), and use an air reservoir which holds 2000 to 3600 PSI which is used to accelerate the round down the bore. The hammer strikes a valve stem which releases a brief burst of air. The really powerful ones (the ones about 8 times more powerful than a 22 long rifle), make less noise than a 22LR once they have a moderator installed. Air Rifles are not considered Firearms by the ATF, so it does not trigger the ATF licensing requirements when they are put on an air rifle. Many of the modern air rifles come with them from the factory.

I have one varmint air rifle in .22 caliber which is quieter than a desk stapler when fired.. most of the noise produced is the action. My .25 caliber is quieter than a break-barrel air rifle, and gives me 42 consistent (hole in hole at 50 yard) shots from a single 3000 PSI filling. It uses a ten shot rotary mag, so no fumbling to load, you just cycle the bolt to load the next round. The .25 is my fur-bearing rifle, and sometimes gets used for smaller game. The Bulldog mentioned previously only gives me 5 shots per 3000 PSI fill, and has a 5 shot rotary magazine. The Bulldog is used for Deer and Hog sized game. Arizona does still ban the use of air rifles for Bison and Elk-sized game.

Here is an example of an 800 Foot Pound Energy Air rifle.

Air Force Texan LSS CF

Here is an example of a Bulldog. Mine looks a bit different because I went aftermarket on a better scope and bipod.. as well as a moderator. (and other things)

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Bulldog_Bullpup_Kit_Black/3725

If you like your air rifle to look like a classical gun, then the bushbuck series are also quite nice, and made with amazing fit and finish throughout.

Bushbuck

Last edited:
I just watched a video Adder on the Bulldog, but what is used to fill it? Air or Nitrogen? Any idea what the cost per shot is just for the air?

I just watched a video Adder on the Bulldog, but what is used to fill it? Air or Nitrogen? Any idea what the cost per shot is just for the air?

I use regular air. I use one of two sources (for myself). I have a hand pump which looks like a bicycle pump on steroids... or... I use a 4500 PSI cylinder (like a fireman's SCBA tank), which I get filled at the local paintball shooting center. One fill of the tank will refill my air rifles many times. The 4500 PSI inside the tank is regulated by the tank back down to 3000 PSI which my air rifles use for refills. I don't bring my carbon fiber tank in the woods, I just fill up my airguns before I go out hunting. If I am at the range, and plan on shooting hundreds of rounds, then my carbon fiber tank comes with me.

I could also buy electric 4500 PSI compressors as well, and would have done this if a paintball shop was not available nearby. Some people get their tanks filled at the local fireman's station. Firehouses have a 4500 PSI compressor to fill their SCBA air tanks, you show up at the station with pizza, beer, and an empty tank. You leave with some new friends, and a full tank.

Some people (who are frequently welders), use dry nitrogen tanks which they rent/lease from a welding supply as well. One of the tall nitrogen tanks last for over a year of regular shooting.

You have multiple options for compressed air/gasses... I did not list all of them.

We are only allowed to use airguns for small game and it has to be .22 or larger for woodchucks.

Very educational. Thanks.
R

I just looked at the Western Big Bore. Oh man. :drool:
The wife is actually interested in doing some shooting so this purchase could be and "easier" sell than one of my toys....errrmmmm tools.

We are only allowed to use airguns for small game and it has to be .22 or larger for woodchucks.
That's disappointing. My wife wants to hunt and was hoping to use an air rifle. Deer are as common as flys here. Makes driving interesting in the morning and at night.

Back