Anyone get venison yet ?

I didn't know CWD was so prevalent? That sounds like a big problem? Are you not afraid to eat the meat and get CJD (the human form?)
Robert
I am not afraid, I hunt for meat, not horns.
I will not pass up a buck, but I need to fill the freezer.
CWD is like COVID in my world, you get it or you don't, if you get it you live or die, just like any other disease/virus/whatever.......

I didn't know CWD was so prevalent? That sounds like a big problem? Are you not afraid to eat the meat and get CJD (the human form?)
Robert
I hunted the first few years after CWD was found. The DNR to samples of the deer for lab testing and I would skin, quarter and debone the venuison and wrap it in Saran wrap until we got test results back. None of the deer that we consumed tested positive. I shot one old doe that tested positive in a very late eradication season where all carcasses were picked up by the DNR.

I am not afraid, I hunt for meat, not horns.
I will not pass up a buck, but I need to fill the freezer.
CWD is like COVID in my world, you get it or you don't, if you get it you live or die, just like any other disease/virus/whatever.......

Doesn't matter if you hunt for meat or horns. If the deer has CWD, you should not eat it, that is according to the CDC.
If you get CWD (actually CJD in humans), it is not "like Covid". You die from CJD or CWD. There is no cure. I personally will not eat a deer that has tested as CWD positive. Putting venison in the freezer is not important to me.

AFAIK, there has been no known case of CWD jumping to humans. It is a close relative of BSE (Mad Cow Disease) and scrapies in sheep and goats
BSE is known to transmit to humans which is why the UK killed their adult cattle in the '90's. I don't believe that scrapies passes on to humans.

Back when CWD first broke in Wisconsin, a researcher at UW Madison was able to transmit CWD to other species but it was by injecting massive amounts of infected brain tissue or extract thereof into test animals. Under those conditions the concentration of the responsible prions was many orders of magnitude greater than what would reasonably occur naturally. In order for the prion to infect another species, it has to mutate to an acceptable form so the probability of jumping species is low.

^^^True RJ^^^ But with my luck I would be the first human to get CWD because some planet was in retrograde motion at that time and unbeknownst to me I had also just contracted Covid. I did just buy a 1/4 of a beef cow that is now in my freezer so I'm good on meat. ;)

Doesn't matter if you hunt for meat or horns. If the deer has CWD, you should not eat it, that is according to the CDC.
If you get CWD (actually CJD in humans), it is not "like Covid". You die from CJD or CWD. There is no cure. I personally will not eat a deer that has tested as CWD positive. Putting venison in the freezer is not important to me.
Here, they will not allow transport of head or spine, if you bone it out, take it freely........
None of us are getting out this alive, enjoy what you like.......
Venison is important to me, as I do not eat slow beef or any other processed animals.........
I also do not have to worry about others, I have no family and very few friends.

^^^True RJ^^^ But with my luck I would be the first human to get CWD because some planet was in retrograde motion at that time and unbeknownst to me I had also just contracted Covid. I did just buy a 1/4 of a beef cow that is now in my freezer so I'm good on meat. ;)
CJD is a long drawn out affair so if you did get both COVID and CWD , The CO VID will get you long before the CJD. But we haven't thrown Lymes disease into the mix yet.:laughing:

I am smiling at the thought of deer meat. In my area the deer are mostly "coues deer". Imagine a creature the size of a German Shepherd dog... but with deer antlers. You don't get much meat off them, but is considered some of the highest grade "wild meat" you will find. They are hyper-alert and easily spooked. In the common vernacular they are referred to as "ghost deer" as they appear and disappear very quickly. All of the ones in my area live in the mountains above the 5200 foot elevation mark. So be prepared to do some serious hiking to get to their haunts. In our area the mountains have bears and mountain lions, so you need to keep your head on swivel... so YOU don't become a tasty treat. Deer tags are hard to come by in Arizona, and are usually sold out by June (lottery for some). This means you must plan months in advance if you are planning to hunt. Arizona is one of the states which is "airgun friendly", so my choice of hunting tool is an upgraded Benjamin Bulldog (145 grain .357 Nosler Extreme slug air rifle). For those who have spent decades away from Air Rifles, they have dramatically changed in both accuracy and take-down power, with some air rifles hitting 800 foot pounds of energy in their .50 caliber slug version. But alas, I missed my window to get a tag in June... so I can only listen to the stories of others who were better prepared.

I am smiling at the thought of deer meat. In my area the deer are mostly "coues deer". Imagine a creature the size of a German Shepherd dog... but with deer antlers. You don't get much meat off them, but is considered some of the highest grade "wild meat" you will find. They are hyper-alert and easily spooked. In the common vernacular they are referred to as "ghost deer" as they appear and disappear very quickly. All of the ones in my area live in the mountains above the 5200 foot elevation mark. So be prepared to do some serious hiking to get to their haunts. In our area the mountains have bears and mountain lions, so you need to keep your head on swivel... so YOU don't become a tasty treat. Deer tags are hard to come by in Arizona, and are usually sold out by June (lottery for some). This means you must plan months in advance if you are planning to hunt. Arizona is one of the states which is "airgun friendly", so my choice of hunting tool is an upgraded Benjamin Bulldog (145 grain .357 Nosler Extreme slug air rifle). For those who have spent decades away from Air Rifles, they have dramatically changed in both accuracy and take-down power, with some air rifles hitting 800 foot pounds of energy in their .50 caliber slug version. But alas, I missed my window to get a tag in June... so I can only listen to the stories of others who were better prepared.
Sound like Key deer in the FL Keys.
They are protected, but they are just stunted whitetail.....

Back