Anyone get venison yet ?

I am, when I can.
Got 1 a few years ago, 3 blocks from the Hospital.
Ritzy neighborhood.
Cop had to shoot it, even helped me load it.

I found out that if you put your hunting tag on a road kill it is considered poaching, but you can call the local LEO and get a road kill tag for that same deer for free, and then it is perfectly legal to take it home. Most LEO are more than happy to finish off a wounded deer for you.

This was my 41st year of hunting. As RJ pointed out, our rifle season just ended, but the season that I really enjoy starts tomorrow... muzzleloader.

I enjoy sitting in my stand. I almost always see deer while sitting. I have still hunted quite a bit too, but I all of my big bucks have come from sitting in my stand. This year was rather neat because it was the first time I hunted on my 22 acres. Seen a few bucks and a number of does over opening weekend. I will not shoot a doe up here because I feel that there are not enough deer as it is. None of the bucks were even close to being big enough to shoot. I try to shoot bucks at least as big as I have harvested before, preferably bigger, but that is getting hard to do as I have shot some pretty nice bucks.
The problem I have is the county just to the north of me has a doe harvest quota of zero, mostly due to wolves. The county I live in has a doe harvest quota of 2. That is way too high when 15 miles to the north of me the quota is zero.
Anyhow, so far I have enjoyed the hunt this year and am looking forward to the muzzleloader season.

Loaded up!

I don't hunt, but I let a couple of guys hunt on the farm in exchange for help on equipment and stuff. So far, one guy has gotten two bucks, which he kept, and three does which I got. Just got up from some spaghetti and venison meatballs. Other than a steak, I pretty much like venison better than beef.

My next door neighbor's son got a 14-point buck a week or so ago. Measured 171.75.

Regards

Loaded up!

I don't hunt, but I let a couple of guys hunt on the farm in exchange for help on equipment and stuff. So far, one guy has gotten two bucks, which he kept, and three does which I got. Just got up from some spaghetti and venison meatballs. Other than a steak, I pretty much like venison better than beef.

My next door neighbor's son got a 14-point buck a week or so ago. Measured 171.75.

Regards
We are allowed 1 buck and doe are first come, Elk are lottery.
I have 2 doe tags for 2 different WMU's,

Last edited:
This was my 41st year of hunting. As RJ pointed out, our rifle season just ended, but the season that I really enjoy starts tomorrow... muzzleloader.

I enjoy sitting in my stand. I almost always see deer while sitting. I have still hunted quite a bit too, but I all of my big bucks have come from sitting in my stand. This year was rather neat because it was the first time I hunted on my 22 acres. Seen a few bucks and a number of does over opening weekend. I will not shoot a doe up here because I feel that there are not enough deer as it is. None of the bucks were even close to being big enough to shoot. I try to shoot bucks at least as big as I have harvested before, preferably bigger, but that is getting hard to do as I have shot some pretty nice bucks.
The problem I have is the county just to the north of me has a doe harvest quota of zero, mostly due to wolves. The county I live in has a doe harvest quota of 2. That is way too high when 15 miles to the north of me the quota is zero.
Anyhow, so far I have enjoyed the hunt this year and am looking forward to the muzzleloader season.
We have enough deer here that I will take a doe, they taste better..
We don't have wolves, but we do have 'yotes, almost as bad.......
We have a doe only ML in Oct for 1 week and a flash-bang after Christmas here.

Last edited:
PA finally gave us 3 Sunday hunting days, 1 Archery, 1 Bear, 1 deer rifle.......
They also blessed us with Semi for small game and furbearers.......
Added benefit, we can use thermal/IR for furbearers now.....

I didn't know CWD was so prevalent? That sounds like a big problem? Are you not afraid to eat the meat and get CJD (the human form?)
Robert

I didn't know CWD was so prevalent? That sounds like a big problem? Are you not afraid to eat the meat and get CJD (the human form?)
Robert
we also have CWD in PA, lots of stuff to do if in area, kinda locally contained......

Robert

I have 2 doe in my freezer that are headed to the trash this week. CWD positive. Both looked perfectly normal.

I’m in a CWD hot zone. Our rifle season runs until the end of December. It’s tough to find the motivation to go hunt diseased deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back