Anyone get venison yet ?

Michigan's season opened on November 15. I shot a year and a half old 3-point on November 21. I usually have one or two by the 16th. I wasn't seeing squat, was happy to get one.

Bruce

My brother got 2 elk with 1 shot last week. Of course using a Barrett .338 Lapua makes that easy. He called the game warden for what to do. Ended up using someone else's tag.

A few years ago I started raising sheep. You know, I've found that you don't have to get up early, You don't have to brave the cold waiting and hoping one will come near enough for a good shot, and most importantly, if needed, they are in season all year long. Now I harvest one on opening day and call it a win!

Rifle cow elk starts Friday the 4th. The weather is really warm for this time of year. Herds are still pretty scattered. This is the very last hunt of the year, and anyone that says that the cow hunt is easy has not tried it.
We have 3 tags and empty freezers.

The Wisconsin gun deer season just ended a few minutes ago. I haven't hunted for fifteen years but for the previous 25 years, I lived on venison.
The 10 day muzzle loader season will begin tomorrow followed by a 4 day antlerless only season.

I used to sit in a stand waiting for deer to wander by. In later years, I got wise. I began still hunting. A lot mire fun and no more cold feet. I woulde maybe get one chance in ten for a good shot but I saw ten times as many deer so it evened out. I must have been doing it right because I had over a hundred deer in 25 years.

The whole thing was seeing the deer before they detected you. If you did, you had a better than even chance at a shot. I also gave up going out an hour before daybreak. I would leave the house just as it started to get light. Walking in the dark just spooks the deer and sends them onto neighboring property.

One afternoon at the end of the season, it was raining lightly and everyone else had left but I decided to go out anyway seeing as how it was the last chance. I was walking a fence line and came across a nice bedded buck about 30 ft from me. He saw me at the same time as I saw him. Because of the rain, I had my scope covers on and as I fumbled with them and the safety, the buck jumped up and ran..... right into a barbed wire fence which threw him back. I managed to get off a hurried shot as he ran off- never touched him. A comedy of errors if ever there was one.

Somewhat chagrined, I moved over to another part of the farm and as the season was drawing to a close, I was walking down a hill back to the house in the rain when I spotted a nice doe. Ten minutes before the close of season, I had my tag filled.

Things have changed. City people bought up the farms and restricted hunting. Everybody wants to sit in a tree stand nowadays and then they grouse because they aren't seeing any deer. I still have hunting privileges on the old farm but the new owner trades hunting for work and I don't feel like intruding in their space. I certainly am not going to be moving deer for someone. The final nail in th coffin was CWD. When it first broke out, ground zero was three miles from me.. Attempts at containment have failed and as many a 15% of the adult deer and 45% of adult bucks are infected.

I have thought about breaking out the bow or rifle and hunting on our 12 acres. We planted trees some twenty years ago and they have created a nice corridor for deer. It would necessarily mean hunting from a stand though and I'm not too keen on that idea.

Michigan's season opened on November 15. I shot a year and a half old 3-point on November 21. I usually have one or two by the 16th. I wasn't seeing squat, was happy to get one.

Bruce
We have a 3 on 1 side rule where I live.
Western part of the state is 3 up.

No, but I saw one yesterday on the side of the road - poor thing. Looked to have a 4 pt. rack.
Usually around here someone is on roadkill in a heartbeat.

The Wisconsin gun deer season just ended a few minutes ago. I haven't hunted for fifteen years but for the previous 25 years, I lived on venison.
The 10 day muzzle loader season will begin tomorrow followed by a 4 day antlerless only season.

I used to sit in a stand waiting for deer to wander by. In later years, I got wise. I began still hunting. A lot mire fun and no more cold feet. I woulde maybe get one chance in ten for a good shot but I saw ten times as many deer so it evened out. I must have been doing it right because I had over a hundred deer in 25 years.

The whole thing was seeing the deer before they detected you. If you did, you had a better than even chance at a shot. I also gave up going out an hour before daybreak. I would leave the house just as it started to get light. Walking in the dark just spooks the deer and sends them onto neighboring property.

One afternoon at the end of the season, it was raining lightly and everyone else had left but I decided to go out anyway seeing as how it was the last chance. I was walking a fence line and came across a nice bedded buck about 30 ft from me. He saw me at the same time as I saw him. Because of the rain, I had my scope covers on and as I fumbled with them and the safety, the buck jumped up and ran..... right into a barbed wire fence which threw him back. I managed to get off a hurried shot as he ran off- never touched him. A comedy of errors if ever there was one.

Somewhat chagrined, I moved over to another part of the farm and as the season was drawing to a close, I was walking down a hill back to the house in the rain when I spotted a nice doe. Ten minutes before the close of season, I had my tag filled.

Things have changed. City people bought up the farms and restricted hunting. Everybody wants to sit in a tree stand nowadays and then they grouse because they aren't seeing any deer. I still have hunting privileges on the old farm but the new owner trades hunting for work and I don't feel like intruding in their space. I certainly am not going to be moving deer for someone. The final nail in th coffin was CWD. When it first broke out, ground zero was three miles from me.. Attempts at containment have failed and as many a 15% of the adult deer and 45% of adult bucks are infected.

I have thought about breaking out the bow or rifle and hunting on our 12 acres. We planted trees some twenty years ago and they have created a nice corridor for deer. It would necessarily mean hunting from a stand though and I'm not too keen on that idea.
I don't have a place put up a stand, but I like them.
I just find a nice place to sit.

No, but I saw one yesterday on the side of the road - poor thing. Looked to have a 4 pt. rack.
Usually around here someone is on roadkill in a heartbeat.
I am, when I can.
Got 1 a few years ago, 3 blocks from the Hospital.
Ritzy neighborhood.
Cop had to shoot it, even helped me load it.

Back