Any RSO's in this group?

Shooting while people are downrange, illegal guns and beer drinking. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Tom
It is the Wild Wild West.
My Dad grew up in the town I live in. Him and his buddies would go up into the canyon and foothills an shoot deer with their Winchester 30-30's. Model 94 of course.
When I was a kid in the early sixties, I remember he came home from a hunting trip and said, no more.
It seems there were guys in the woods drinking with high power rifles. never a good mix.
I guess there was an altercation when he almost got shot by a rather drunk want to be hunter.
He taught my brother and I the right way to handle firearms.
I am very thankful for the experience.

Gee, thanks
Guilt!
I really liked it when our club and the NRA joined together to hold youth events.
Let’s face it, if our kids and grandchildren are Not exposed to the benefits of firearm ownership and the safe enjoyment of target shooting and hunting, we may be in trouble.
Oops, too political?

Hah!

Well here's a story, sorry for it being long. My dad did not own firearms, and did not hunt. When I went to summer camp as a kid and shot .22 rifles I was hooked big time. Spent my whole camp slush fund on .22lr ammo, to the point they told me I had to do other stuff besides plink! Got some marksman award there and came home proud but my pops wouldn't allow a gun in the house so I kinda gave up on it. Fast forward to being married and with kids and having a wife that supports me when I want to try something new (like buying a lathe!), and me and a pal took up trapshooting. Shot competitively for about 15 years and liked it but got bored, then got into competitive pistol shooting about 8 years ago and it's my new passion. During that time, I have taken literally dozens of people who had never shot a firearm before, and taught them the safety, the marksmanship, and the shooting sports, and while most have not continued on, I'd say about 25% have become enthusiasts. I'm happy when I see their posts on social media - I know that part of it was due to me. So, we have to do our part to keep it going and make the world understand the positive side of responsible firearm ownership.

Off the soapbox now :grin:

I bought my buddy's Rem 700 .338 Win Mag up in New York . Came straight from the factory in Ilion which is 5 miles away from my property . Dhal22 , it doesn't bring a smile to my face when shooting it , rather a mighty sore shoulder ! o_O

My brother's is the MRAD with the muzzle brake so minimal sore shoulder. Found a generic picture online, just an awesome gun.

Attachments

• barrett_mrad.jpg
    barrett_mrad.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 5
LMS,
The time and effort you put in to show those first time shooters the safe sport of target shooting may turn an anti 2nd. Amendment individual into an advocate.
I think many here would agree, going shooting is much like going bowling or ice skating, golfing etc.
It's just another form of entertainment.

... going shooting is much like going bowling or ice skating, golfing etc.
It's just another form of entertainment....
You hit the nail on the head with that one - but those outside looking in (with interest or with contempt) don't see it that way. When I explain it that way to some of my friends that only focus on the negatives, I can see the light go on sometimes and it's a small step in the right direction.

I am an RSO also. Mostly because I shoot F-TR competition and we needed additional RSO's to run the matches. I hear you about some people have no business being RSO's. Taking a class does not mean you have any knowledge or common sense for that matter.

I had to sell my guns shortly after my wife and I were married some 35 years ago for medical reasons. Sold my M1 Garand, Winch 94 (Pre 64), S&W Snub and 6" and a few others.

I have replaced the M1 from CMP, got a Winchester manufactured one (July 1943). One of the 30K that had duplicate SN's with Springfield. They still have some M1's available from CMP. I have also added a large selections of attachments, and accessories. Plan to build a display some day.

Of course I have purchased others as well since.

I would love to find a early Winchester 94 but haven't found one that is of any quality at a price I can handle. Maybe someday.

There are a lot of people at the ranges that shouldn't be allowed to own a BB gun let alone a high powered gun. Doesn't matter the range or club you belong to. There will be some. Most clubs it is the responsibility of every member to monitor and ensure that everyone is safe and to report those that are not. Not just the RSO's.

LMS,
The time and effort you put in to show those first time shooters the safe sport of target shooting may turn an anti 2nd. Amendment individual into an advocate.
I think many here would agree, going shooting is much like going bowling or ice skating, golfing etc.
It's just another form of entertainment.

It's a lot easier for someone to get hurt or killed by someone mishandling a firearm that it is to get hurt by someone mishandling a bowling ball. Or maybe I'm overreacting (according to some).

I think the comment was about entertainment. The need for safety is obvious

I bought my buddy's Rem 700 .338 Win Mag up in New York . Came straight from the factory in Ilion which is 5 miles away from my property . Dhal22 , it doesn't bring a smile to my face when shooting it , rather a mighty sore shoulder ! o_O
338 Lapua will take the air from your lungs if you stand next to it when being fired. I was on RSO duty when a guy just bought one as it was the first one I saw and made the mistake standing next to it watching where it was hitting. He did have a problem with the shell sticking in the chamber and he was trying to force it out, so I showed him how to get it out without breaking the gun. I did check it for burs and did not find any and since it was new I said shoot a few and see what happens before taking it back. I did not see him again, so did not see how it turned out.
Paul

Back