Any RSO's in this group?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've decided to let my certificate lapse. I'm an NRA certified RSO. My Rod and Gun club requires me to be a member in good standing of the NRA, which I am at present.
That's not the reason for my choice to let it lapse. The reason I went through the training was so I got a key to the gate and could shoot any time I wanted.
I've found the members of the club to be clicky? If you aren't in their group they aren't exactly welcoming and I've been a member in this club for 20 years.
I've also realized, some of the RSO's shouldn't be. I've witnessed some unsafe acts allowed by the RSO in charge of the firing line.
Also, it seems like some of the guys that are not all that safe, are the ones that have been "handling guns their whole life".
To me, that means they should know better.
It doesn't seem to be important any more. I use to like bench shooting on my own or in a small group to practice my skills.
I have a nice Anschutz target rifle. The Savage 93BTVS in 22WMR is also a tack driver.
I joined Gun Owners of America and the California Rifle and Pistol Association.
It seems like a better way to go for me.
This year promises to be interesting.

All of us that enjoy exercising our second amendment rights will have plenty of stories about bad / incompetent / dangerous RSOs. But if you're a good one and you stop, aren't you making your club a little less safe by not being one of the good ones helping out? Not trying to guilt you or anything, just thinking of the new shooters you could be sending down the right path vs the bozos sending them down the wrong path...

I did not know that facet of your interests, Jeff, we share that --- my favorite is a high wall single shot with peep sights. in .38-55 wcf.
38-55 can hurt not only the target but the shooter!
I‘d like to know more about how you chose that caliber?
I’m not a big recoil fan.
I did enjoy shooting my CMP Garand, lost it in the fire. I inherited an Enfield Mark IV. That .303 wasn’t very enjoyable but dang that thing was accurate. (Lost in the fire)
We will talk my friend.

For one thing, I load them a bit lightly, and use a recoil pad on my shoulder. I got introduce to the caliber when a gun supplier announced that they could take a worn out .30-30 WCF barrel and rebore it to .38-55, which was the original cartridge when the model 94 Winchester was introduced; the .30-30 cartridge is a .38-55 necked down, so the chamber is basically the same, after reboring, I had to buy a chambering reamer to get the cartridge to fully seat. The gun was one given to me by my uncle, a long octagon barreled '94 that he bought new when he came back from WW-1; he was not one to clean guns, so the barrel was pitted awfully. After doing that I decided that a high wall in that caliber was what I really wanted and I bought one with heavy octagon barrel. I also use a Garand, but it uses up ammo all to quickly! I also shoot an Enfield in .30-06, and like it much.

All of us that enjoy exercising our second amendment rights will have plenty of stories about bad / incompetent / dangerous RSOs. But if you're a good one and you stop, aren't you making your club a little less safe by not being one of the good ones helping out? Not trying to guilt you or anything, just thinking of the new shooters you could be sending down the right path vs the bozos sending them down the wrong path...
Gee, thanks
Guilt!
I really liked it when our club and the NRA joined together to hold youth events.
Let’s face it, if our kids and grandchildren are Not exposed to the benefits of firearm ownership and the safe enjoyment of target shooting and hunting, we may be in trouble.
Oops, too political?

For one thing, I load them a bit lightly, and use a recoil pad on my shoulder. I got introduce to the caliber when a gun supplier announced that they could take a worn out .30-30 WCF barrel and rebore it to .38-55, which was the original cartridge when the model 94 Winchester was introduced; the .30-30 cartridge is a .38-55 necked down, so the chamber is basically the same, after reboring, I had to buy a chambering reamer to get the cartridge to fully seat. The gun was one given to me by my uncle, a long octagon barreled '94 that he bought new when he came back from WW-1; he was not one to clean guns, so the barrel was pitted awfully. After doing that I decided that a high wall in that caliber was what I really wanted and I bought one with heavy octagon barrel. I also use a Garand, but it uses up ammo all to quickly! I also shoot an Enfield in .30-06, and like it much.
Good stuff!
I have a desire to buy an 03 Springfield. The Dough boys rifle.
The ubiquitous 30.06 is a fun round to reload. CMP use to have loads of Greek surplus that worked well in my Garand
Maybe we can buy primers again Some day.

Good stuff!
I have a desire to buy an 03 Springfield. The Dough boys rifle.
The ubiquitous 30.06 is a fun round to reload. CMP use to have loads of Greek surplus that worked well in my Garand
Maybe we can buy primers again Some day.

I still have a couple of unopened spam cans of that greek ammo... I currently have a 1917 US Enfield, an '03-A3, a Garand, and a .30 Carbine... all from CMP.

I also bought one of the chrome plated 1917 parade rifles (fully functional) and gave it to my dad for his birthday one year.

I live 45 minutes from the CMP- Anniston AL store, so I hand picked all of these rifles. The Garand was one of the 'woodless Danes' Danish returns restocked with a CMP reproduction stock... it came with a VAR barrel and is quite accurate. I had 'Old Hook' Boutin accurize it (he lived 15 minutes from me before he passed away... he taught me the basics of gunsmithing).

-Bear

Jeff,
I am a RSO and have seen some bad ones. I also have seen some unsafe shooters that were cops and Instructors. I try to teach them the right ways and some do listen and some don't. I do teach a course with County cop Instructors and now they let me be in charge. It's nice to get respect for what I do, but it does not happen all the time. I did belong to 4 clubs, but only 2 now. My newest club wants me to be a RSO and I told them I already was and they do not have any now, so they are trying to get some people to do it and have a get together to get it done. At another club that I used to belong I was in charge of the RSO's. I do have other NRA certs. and look forward to teaching after the virus is gone. I do some shooting now when the weather is nice, since being retired I do not like cold weather much. I do want to compete again, but need some more practice before I do it. I used to shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun to win money, but been out of it for awhile. I shoot 9mm, 40, 357,22, 30-06, 223, 32 special and some cap & ball pistols.
Paul

My 2 favorite rifles are my Kimber 22-250 for varmint shooting and my brothers DD .338 Lapua for long range target shooting. Both make me smile a lot with their trigger action and absolute accuracy.

Back