Any RSO's in this group?

Paul,
I would encourage you to teach the RSO classes. some of the basic safety rules that may seem obvious to some have never been considered by others.
Unsafe shooters who are so arrogant to listen to common sense, well, we all know the type.
Stay well.

My 2 favorite rifles are my Kimber 22-250 for varmint shooting and my brothers DD .338 Lapua for long range target shooting. Both make me smile a lot with their trigger action and absolute accuracy.
That Kimber varmint gun is a sweet rifle.
I had an old Remington 700 in .222. An old school varmint gun. She was a shooter though.

My experience as a RSO has lasted over 40 years. There were many 'discussions' with other shooters about proper gun handling but too many of them think they are at their hunting camp instead of at a shooting range. Another RSO and myself kept the faith and we supported each others efforts to maintain high standards for many good years. When my shooting buddy died my interest in shooting crashed. We had had many wonderful days together at the range when no one else was there for us to supervise. It was shooting at its best, testing our loads and equipment and discussing the results.
Shooting IBS sanctioned score competition was another high for several years. The discipline and camaraderie was excellent. You could relax and enjoy the shooting cause every other shooter was safety conscious, disciplined and reliable.
Our enjoyment at the range was directly impacted by who else was shooting and how they handled safety. So I can understand why responsible shooters are picky about who they like to share time and space with at the range.

Last edited:
I was at a range a few years back, and a couple came in (date night?) with an AR and a green laser sight. With a target at 10 ft, and the laser only hitting the target at random times (before any trigger was even pulled), I decided to just pack up and leave for my own safety. Turned out the guy ran the range. I feel safer at some ranges than I do at others. If you are conscious of safety and help operate a range, keep doing it.

joe

Did my stint as a RSO at Twentynine Palms a long time ago. No way I'd volunteer to do so at a civilian range. Oftentimes, the newbs are just ignorant, but willing to learn/listen, and many of the so-called 'experts' are just arrogant idiots, or worse. Watched one such clown put one in his leg after being told to be more careful by the local RSO. I just chuckled and walked away, never to return.

My local range is a hot range and for the most part, it's run pretty well. I've had conversations with most of the RSOs and regulars, and everyone seems pretty competent. But I always have a loaded 1911 on my hip in case we get a squirrelly one. If I had my druthers, I'd much rather shoot by myself (or with my wife) out in the middle of nowhere.

.338 Lapua

old Remington 700

I bought my buddy's Rem 700 .338 Win Mag up in New York . Came straight from the factory in Ilion which is 5 miles away from my property . Dhal22 , it doesn't bring a smile to my face when shooting it , rather a mighty sore shoulder ! o_O

If I had my druthers, I'd much rather shoot by myself (or with my wife) out in the middle of nowhere.
I'm with you there. There is a lot of open land in this country. When I retire, in a little over a year, my wife and I plan on loading up the travel trailer and touring some of this beautiful country.
I don't remember the highway designation but there is an East-West road that runs to Twenty Nine Palms over to the Arizona boarder.
It's a good example of open space. A good place to plink with your firearms, safely with no neighbors to care.
BLM and National Forest lands are also great places to stop, relax, take a break and do some plinking. IMHO

We have a public shooting range not far from where I work. I won't go there. It's a dangerous place.
You have the usual, handling of firearms while guys are down range setting up targets. You have guys shooting while people are down range setting up targets. There are illegal guns in use, beer drinking.
No, I won't go back to that place.
It's the public range at the clay pit near Oroville, CA.

Shooting while people are downrange, illegal guns and beer drinking. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Tom

Back