Another Tool I Dont Need and Cant Afford and Dont Know How to Run

Got it for a grand. New problem tonight though. Will run for several minutes and then shut off. Loaded, unloaded doesnt make a difference. Almost seems like a overheat switch or something. Power light stays on the whole time on the front panel. When it shuts off you wait several minutes and it will power right back up like nothing happened.

Anybody else have this issue?

I cant feel any heat on the motor with my hand. Is there a thermal overload switch built into it somewhere that could be malfunctioning?

there should be one inside the motor. 1st I'd get to where I could put a meter (or lamp) across the motor and make sure it had voltage across it when it won't run. That would determine if it was a motor problem or something else.

Steve

I presume that the top cover where the wires come into the motor has to come off to get access to the switch and connections? I can leave the motor on the stand? Havent done much with electric motors before so running with limited knowledge.

Checking electric

Ok, got the cover off and check for voltage when machine turns off. None present. If I wait for several minutes with the door to the electric board box open I can hear a soft click and then i can push the power button and it will work for a couple more minutes.

Any ideas?

does it have a factory plug on the cord or did someone put a plug on the cord?
steve

It has a new plug, I put the 3 prong dryer plug on it that I use for all my 220v machines.

I played around more with it and found that the fastest speed with no load it comes back on the quickest, when on the slowest speed it takes 8+ minutes to come back on.

you may have to have the motor checked by an electrician
the chinese motors are known to fail
mine did on my mill
steve

Back