Another Tool I Dont Need and Cant Afford and Dont Know How to Run

Btw with out even a vague hint as to your location....You could be right around the block from one of us who'd say "take these and try em".

Steve

Good information, thanks! Were have you found the HSS for the best price on the web? What wheel will I need to sharpen them?

BTW - Mesa, AZ :)

Ebay is a good source for both. You can often get a handful of ground tools with a couple of good quality blanks for next to nothing. In that case I'd look around local for a cheap set of feeler gauges to shim the height with. You may get some that are ready to go

Grinding wheels I prefer the 38A white wheels (simply because it is what I know the blue etc would be fine) in a I J or K hardness depending on the size. I usually mount up a 60grit since I can rough and do a fair job finishing without too much honing.

Steve

Last edited:
Ok, stupid question time.. What do I need the feeler gauges for? What height do I need to shim to? I assume 1/2" blanks, is this incorrect?

This is what I assumed you are referring to. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=383-5332&PMPXNO=941028&PARTPG=INLMK32

Those are the blanks. 1/2" is IMO a chore to grind and i often use 3/8" or even smaller when carbide isn't the best choice.

Shims are required to bring the tool's cutting edge up to the center of the work (same as the center of the spindle) on the TP pictured. The lathe is made to fit a 1/2" but usually shims are needed to tweak the height. With the leaves from a cheap feeler gauge that 4 way can be dead on pretty easily. Also a tool with any top rake will need adjusting after sharpening etc.

I was also referring to something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-PC-MACHI...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d34dadc67 . There are nearly always these type of deals on ebay not saying that one in particular but the same kind of thing. Some of those can likely be setup and put to use and some blanks included.

Steve

Ok, stupid question time.. What do I need the feeler gauges for? What height do I need to shim to?.............

The tip of the cutting tool i.e. the part of it that's doing the actual cutting, needs to be at exactly the same height as the center of the workpiece in the chuck.

You don't actually need the feelers for measuring, you take them apart and use them as shims under the cutting tool to achieve the correct height.

M

Thanks for the information! Will do some shopping and see what I can come up with. Be prepared for more questions :)

Picked up a HF Special today, found it on Craigslist. It is a 12x36" lathe from 2005. Never been used, still had cosmoline on it and it was empty on oil. Got it cleaned and lubed and did a test run with it. So far it is great! Only thing is the power cross feed worked once and now it doesnt. Need to figure that out........ Overall great day!!
So.....How much did you pay for it? I'd buy one if it came around at the right price.

Back