Another Tool I Dont Need and Cant Afford and Dont Know How to Run

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Picked up a HF Special today, found it on Craigslist. It is a 12x36" lathe from 2005. Never been used, still had cosmoline on it and it was empty on oil. Got it cleaned and lubed and did a test run with it. So far it is great! Only thing is the power cross feed worked once and now it doesnt. Need to figure that out........ Overall great day!!

2012-09-03 10.50.17.jpg 2012-09-03 16.32.51.jpg 2012-09-03 16.32.58.jpg 2012-09-03 16.33.21.jpg

That's a nice lathe and it's size should be more than adequate for most jobs. It was the model I was saving up to get before I found a great deal on a SB heavy ten. Alright, I might trade with you...

Whats the part you turned up for? (Obviously you did need this tool)
Hey! If the price was right it was affordable!
Care to elaborate on the cross feed problem? (then we might be able to help you know how to run it)

Cheers Phil

There is a shift lever on the apron that selects cross or long feed. Is it in the correct position? Also HF has all there user manuals online, so you can get it for a parts breakdown and simple how-to on the levers and indented switches. Congrats on a great score... How come I neve find a killer deal like that? Oh well, I'll just keep watching, mine is coming sooner or later....Just gotta make sure I save the pennies so I can get it when the chance comes along.
Bob

Only thing is the power cross feed worked once and now it doesnt. Need to figure that out........ Overall great day!!

Which shaft going through the apron is turning? It should be the one that isn't threaded. If not you need to find the lever that switches from threading to feed. If neither are turning likely that lever is in neural.

If the feed shaft is turning then check the threading lever is not slightly engaged. There is an interlock that prevents engaging both levers at the same time (feed and threading). In this case the lever won't move.

Steve

The first part was a grinding post for my boys scooter so he can grind on the curb and not damage the board. The threaded shaft was turning while I was trying to get the cross feed to go, that is probably the problem. Will have to check when I get home. The HF manual sucks, found the Grizzly manual to be much better, downloaded it this morning.

Yes, you are correct. I had the feed lever engaged and that stopped the crossfeed from engaging. I turned that off and it works again :)

Thanks!

any recomendations for tooling?

Any recommendations for inexpensive tooling to get started? Are the HF cutters any good to learn on?

Re: any recomendations for tooling?

Any recommendations for inexpensive tooling to get started? Are the HF cutters any good to learn on?

NO!!! I typically like HF stuff (for what it is) but the brazed bits they sell are like an artists concept of what a cutter should be, with no idea how they work.

Your 12x36 is the same class machine as mine and if I were starting where you are I'd buy a few good brazed carbide cutters 1st. They will be around 10$ each but will work as received. I often buy the cheapaschips imports but usually they need finish grinding on the silicone carbide wheel and/or the diamond wheel. 3/8" will do as will 1/2" for beginning I'd just shim up some 3/8" in the holder.

OR you could start out with High Speed Steel (HSS) and grind your own tools. You will need to at some time or another in the future. This requires a grinder and a proper wheel to keep from being a complete aggravation. Great skill and many claim the best way to start.

Steve

Back