American made drill press?

Crap, another guy I will have to battle with for good deals in my area. Stay away from any Rusnok or Benchmaster mills! :)

Lol...what do you say we make I-75 the dividing line? You take the East side and I'll take the West. Or maybe we should go together and buy everything. Then we could sell it to guys from Nebraska and Kansas. ;)

Tom

Your location has to be better than Topeka, KS! I will agree that old USA stuff rarely shows up in my area either. I generally check Craig's List several times a day and jump on anything decent that pops up because of how infrequently anything appears.

Hey, at least you're not too far from KC. I've basically got Omaha to draw from. :p I do hear what you're saying though as I don't see many ads for stuff down your way either.

Lol...what do you say we make I-75 the dividing line? You take the East side and I'll take the West. Or maybe we should go together and buy everything. Then we could sell it to guys from Nebraska and Kansas. ;)

Tom

Have I ever told you, "I hate you guys."? :biggrin: :lmao:

-Ron

Hello All,
It would appear to be that there is starting to be a shortage of good US made tools all over your fine country, except maybe in the old industrial centres, Sounds like an opportunity for someone,
Best regards
Rick

That may be but the bigger problem is the guys that know how to use them are getting in shorter supply all the time as well. Not sure what that would mean for the "market" overall. :thinking:

-Ron

I placed a "Wanted" add on Craigslist for a Benchmaster mill in the Detroit area, and got an email that night! Granted the odds on that happening are pretty slim, in fact the guy even said he never looks at the wanted adds, but for some reason he did that night. He told me he checks Craigslist all the time and has not seen a Benchmaster come up in the three years since he bought his, which is now mine.

Give that a try.

Wow! Talk about getting lucky. Nice score. It astounds me though that you have such a well populated area to draw from, relatively close to a lot of manufacturing, and there is still nary the kinds of machinery we are discussing showing up.

-Ron

Just a tip o'the hat to four per cent. scrap above. I was making a " fiddley" tool
Adaptor from a Chinese casting and broke a drill on an inclusion. Found what
looks like a pristine bearing roller............BLJHB

Hi Rick,
I'm in complete agreement with you.Our children are our natural resources and must be the next inventors and business entrepreneurs but without skills they have no prospects.
Kind regards,
Giovanni
. Stanley, Ormond Beach, 200 mph? BLJHB.

I like the old American machines as well. I was fortunate enough to pick up a Delta, 18" variable speed vertical band saw that has a 2 speed gear box plus the Reeves variable speed drive. Got a Rockwell variable speed drill press, also with Reeves drive 300 to 2500 RPM plus a Powermatic 17" drill press. I had to work on all three, some more than the rest but all told I have less than $700 invested in the three including repair parts, bearing, etc.

You have to be careful with Powermatic, manufacturing was sent to China and the quality in some of their products really sucks yet the pricing is still sky high like they were still made in the USA.

Being fair, Harbor Freight's stuff has improved significantly in quality over the years. Sure, not as good as older US tools, but in comparison to themselves they are much better off.
Many, many years ago I had stopped buying anything there, it was buy it, bring it home, try to use it, break it, throw it away or return and repeat.
Finally started going back over ten years ago and found a great increase in quality, in fact some hand tools they had were lasting longer than the Craftsmen stuff I was getting, particularly screw drivers.
Now, when you see a change in their items, it's usually because of an upgrade. Now, I have all sorts of stuff from HF around here, most of it I'm very happy with.

Back