American made drill press?

Great looking drill press.
I like the capability of threading.
How much is the asking price?
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Late to the party, but I would have suggested searching Craig's List in your area and holding out for an older use USA machine. I am one of the odd ducks that will gladly rebuild an older American machine before settling for an import version. I have bought three floor model drill presses used in the last few years. The condition varied from rusty and rough for $75 to vintage and pristine 1957 Craftsman for the same amount! The most I have paid was $150 for an older Atlas machine. In every case the machines were well known older brands Buffalo, Craftsman (King Seely) and Atlas. Two of the three needed rebuilt, the Buffalo was restored and sold for a small profit, the Atlas has not yet been tackled, and the Craftsman operated and looked like a new machine so it is the machine I use.

My whole point is if you are either patient, or willing to rebuild older machines there is a lot of great old American iron out there for the picking. I don't look at these machines as a money making venture, but rather the only way I will ever see the USA made machinery I want setting in my garage! Restoring an old machine is very gratifying watching them come back to life restored to their former glory is too enjoyable for description. No one has to settle for import equipment, buying used American for me will always be worth the trade off of accepting the new import.

With all that said, I hope you enjoy your purchase and it meets your needs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the options for American made home shop equipment are slim to none. Any American made wood or metalworking machinery is produced for industrial applications and is way too expensive for most home hobbyists. However as Uncle Buck points out, the poor economy does present the hobbyist with an excellent opportunity to pick up quality machinery for the same or even less money than new imported stuff. There are a lot of shops going out of business and used machinery is readily available. A used Walker Turner, Clausing or Delta would be a MUCH better option than anything Harbor Freight has to offer. Unfortunately, with all of the low quality goods forced on us these days, it's hard to remember what a well engineered, well made piece of equipment is like and we are becoming more willing to settle for less.

Ron: It's not too late to take it back! Take some time to check out some of the used equipment. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's available. Whatever you end up with is going to be hanging around your shop for a long time so don't settle for less.

Tom

Guys, for some reason decent equipment just doesn't show up around here much. I have been keeping an eye out for an older American DP for quite some time. Finally decided that I need to make some holes. :p I'll still keep an eye out for a better machine and if one comes along I'll sell the HF or break it down for "parts" :biggrin: Here in the midwest (Omaha area) there has never been a lot of manufacturing or industry that would use this kind of equipment. The High Schools quit having "metal shop" some twenty years or more ago as well. I think that helps explain the dearth of "machining hobbiests" and older equipment - just guessing though.

-Ron

I guess I'm spoiled being from the Detroit area. A quick glance at on Craig's List revealed a Walker Turner floor model for $275, a vintage Delta for $110, a vintage Dayton floor model for $200, a Powermatic floor model with a production table for $650 and I kid you not, a cute little 13" 40's vintage Walker Turner bench top for $50, and the list goes on. You guys seriously need to plan a road trip.

Tom

Guys, for some reason decent equipment just doesn't show up around here much. I have been keeping an eye out for an older American DP for quite some time. Finally decided that I need to make some holes. :p I'll still keep an eye out for a better machine and if one comes along I'll sell the HF or break it down for "parts" :biggrin: Here in the midwest (Omaha area) there has never been a lot of manufacturing or industry that would use this kind of equipment. The High Schools quit having "metal shop" some twenty years or more ago as well. I think that helps explain the dearth of "machining hobbiests" and older equipment - just guessing though.

-Ron

Your location has to be better than Topeka, KS! I will agree that old USA stuff rarely shows up in my area either. I generally check Craig's List several times a day and jump on anything decent that pops up because of how infrequently anything appears.

Back