American made drill press?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I'm currently in the market for a smaller drill press. Free standing would be okay but not necessary. The other requirement is that I need the lowest speed to be around/under 300 rpm for a particular use I have for it. Now, I've seen recommendations on here for the Heavy Duty 16 Speed Bench Drill Press from HF: http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...vy-duty-16-speed-bench-drill-press-38142.html
image_17241.jpg

It meets all my requirements and the price is pretty fair (Web says it's on backorder though.) The problem I have with it is that it is still "Chinese junk" and while it may get the job done I really have a hard time spending money on something that is not quality. I have done a little searching for something of higher quality/Made in U.S. but have come up empty handed. The closest I could find were Clausing drill presses but they were all too large and horribly expensive. Before I try and slap down some hard earned cash on an "iffy" piece of equipment I just wanted to see if there were any better alternatives. Anyone?

Thanks,

-Ron

image_17241.jpg

image_17241.jpg

I have that HF drill press (at least it sure looks like it) maybe 5yrs old. While I dont use it much for drilling, my use is probably harder on it. I adapted a treadmill motor with variable speed to it - which has an rpm of around 4000 - and I use the press with several varieties/sizes of drum sanders running at quite high speeds. Along with the high speeds, I will put some pretty heavy side loads on the spindle - say with a 3x6" drum sander, pushing against the side of it. I do Al casting and use these drums to finish/dress the wooden patterns, and take flashing off the castings - along with any other various applications. I used a 20% coupon and a sales flyer and got this press for something like $189 - I am well pleased with it.

As far as American made, it probably will come down to finding one of the older industrial DP's. I have looked at several of what used to be quality machines from Sears, Delta, etc and usually doesnt even take close examination of a DP to know its nothing but a copy of one of the Chinese - and with considerable more cost. Even one bench top Wilton I saw had to have been Taiwan or Chinese.

I think the last domestic maker of drill presses is Powermatic. It's good quality, but they don't offer much in the smaller size, if anything. And they aren't cheap.

I think the last domestic maker of drill presses is Powermatic. It's good quality, but they don't offer much in the smaller size, if anything. And they aren't cheap.

After you mentioned them I looked up the Powermatic. Looks like a real nice unit but as you said they don't offer much in the smaller sizes (only one model, different colors). I still wouldn't mind going with something that size but their stuff is all more geared to the woodworker, including the DP. The lowest speed on the DP is still a little high (min. 400) for my purposes as well. Finally, it would seem a little like less than, shall we say circumspect, to spend over a thousand bucks on a drill press. Especially one that isn't exactly what you are looking for. I think Tony puts the cap on this one, time to head to the local HF and see if they have one in stock. :p

Thanks guys,

-Ron

I had the Harbor Freight production press. It got replaced with a 17" Clausing I scored on CL. The HF unit was a very good unit at a reasonable price. I just got tired of the belt changes. It was much better constructed than the standard fair you get at Sears or the Big Box stores and is about the only one that will get down to 150 RPMs for under a $500.

Randy

Randy, you're right and when you look around it seems like HF is still the "best" option but it just grates on me to no end that there really isn't a whole lot close to it. Even the "name" brands - Sears, etc. all seem to be made with the same quality or less and are asking premium prices for the "name". It's even worse that there doesn't seem to be any American or Canadian made units (even at twice the price) that are available. Sheesh, have we really sunk that low? :(

Sorry, rant mode somehow got on there,

-Ron

Ron,
I am afraid so. The only way to buy quality American is to buy old machines. But it is not just American, even the old European quality manual machines are disappearing.
The really sad thing is that there is NOTHING any of us can do about it.

Randy

Nope not anymore, the PM2800 is made in China.

Powermatic's parent company is the same as Jet & Wilton:

http://www.waltermeier.com/ch/group/en/what_we_offer.html

The Clausing 20" is now Made In USA
http://www.clausing-industrial.com/insourcing.asp

Are you sure? I couldn't find specific reference to outsourcing the manufacture, and the wording on the website sounds more like the ownership structure has changed by being absorbed by the larger company.

http://www.powermatic.com/About.aspx?nav=about

"From a family operated corn milling operation in McMinnville, TN. to today’s 400,000 square foot facility in LaVergne, TN., the evolution of Powermatic has echoed the success of American business ingenuity throughout the 20th Century and into the new millennium.

I hope they continue to operate the plant in LaVergne.

Well, it might well be true. I wonder what they are doing in that 400,000 foot facility in TN. Might be other products besides the drill presses.

Imagine my surprise when I ordered a couple Sioux air tools.....and they came from China. They are OK.....not quite the feel of the old Sioux, but adequate. I just wish they had adjusted their pricing accordingly. They were every bit as expensive as when they were domestic.

Back