Advice on lathe for home shop

I strongly prefer to check out a machine before buying it. Only once did I buy sight unseen, and it wasn't what I thought it would be.

My friend Rudy has bought from 2000 miles away without qualms.

It depends on you tolerance for repairing, your insistence on being able to immediately use the machine, and your willingness to take on risk. If you want a perfect machine, all tooled - it is possible to get one used, with patience and luck. Expect to pay a premium for quality.

Starting with a budget ceiling, you should research what new machines are like in that price range, and work outwards from there. Only a tiny percentage have snagged a perfect machine on a 'deal'. Decide ahead what you nonnegotiable points are and where you can be flexible.

The best deals are where you examine the lathe, make your offer and the seller is happy also.

I’d never buy a lathe or anything used sight unseen. I’ve seen too many unscrupulous people “polish a turd” and put it up for sale looking for all the world to see as a nice specimen (mostly antique cars) to consider that. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I can wait until the right machine comes along.
I mentioned a Victor 1440GS the other day. I talked to the dealer in Connecticut yesterday and he offered to sell it for $5000 . It’s allegedly a Taiwanese machine , 2014 build, DRO, collet closer, 3jaw, 4jaw, steady rest , drill chuck, live centers. It looks nice and I’m wondering if it’s worth what he’s asking for it. I have the means to buy it but I’m inherently frugal (it’s genetic , my dad is a cheap bastard too) And I’m not sure if I can justify it. What do you folks think of this machine.

Nothing wrong with a threaded spindle.
I think there are those that may disagree with both of us.
There are plenty of hobby guys that have threaded spindles and produce outstanding work, no question.
Having owned and operated older 13" South bend lathes, I was limited or scared to run the chuck in reverse out of fear of the chuck unthreading.
I have a D1-6 now and would never go back to a threaded spindle.
I don't mean to be disrespectful or argumentative in any way. Just my opinion based on experience.

If you were in the market for a new one. here you go.
Looks like the same lathe, no?

One of my friends bought an 1440GS a few years ago. He has had a very good experience. And he paid 11,400 CDN for it. (no collet closer). I'd offer 10% below his ask and buy it if I was local and didn't have a 15X60 already. assuming ti completely checks out and is run under power...

Looks like the same lathe, no?
That one is a 1440G and if you look at the head stock the control layout it’s different, how different the G is from the GS is unknown. I looked for hours on the inter webs the other night and could only find that the GS is no longer available from Victor. What the actual difference is what I’d like to know.
One of my friends bought an 1440GS a few years ago. He has had a very good experience. And he paid 11,400 CDN for it. (no collet closer). I'd offer 10% below his ask and buy it if I was local and didn't have a 15X60 already. assuming ti completely checks out and is run under power...
This really good to hear, now I need to convince the missus that if I spend the money on this one I’ll be able to get it back if/when we decide to sell it and move to Florida like all folks in New England eventually do. Whats the story on resale on a lathe Ike this?

Last edited:
The Victor lathes I have seen (16x60, 22x40) are nice machines and the owners really like them. I'd take one in a second. Take care of it, and I'm sure it would sell on very nicely. 14x40 is a very useful size, yet still not real big and heavy. There are lots of home guys, farmers, small businesses etc. that would snap it up in a second. A good used (well cared for 14x40) would probably fetch a better price than a +25" swing lathe (in comparable dress and condition) - simply because there would be many more people that would be able to use it.

Here's a link to newer version of the lateh my friend bought. (the version you are looking at is a few years old)...

I’m assuming the “modern” lathe is a rebadged Victor? The way these Asian lathes get rebadged is really confusing. I’m very glad that you have first hand knowledge of the model I’m interested in, they change them so often you can’t be sure if the one you’re reading about is actually comparable to the lathe you are interested in buying. I think I found that the sharp 1440 F is similar to the victor 1440GS , at least the control layout looks very similar. Im trying to find a manual for the machine online but I’m coming up empty, was this model a short lived one?

Back