Advice on lathe for home shop

I was just saying a similar thing to my wife, I should get the cash I’m willing to spend on a lathe and keep it at home
Yes man, you have to be ready.
I'm reading through this thread with building anxiety :)

That heavy 10 in my opinion is not as capable as a LeBlonde or a Clausing, Cincinnatti etc.
Doesn't the heavy 10 have a threaded spindle? You don't want that.

As soon as I emailed the seller he went into the ad and marked it as pending, it had been listed for 14 hours .....

That heavy 10 in my opinion is not as capable as a LeBlonde or a Clausing, Cincinnatti etc.
Doesn't the heavy 10 have a threaded spindle? You don't want that.
Nothing wrong with a threaded spindle.

The heavy ten was at the magic $1500 price point and was marked as pending 14 hours after being listed. The ad showed quite a bit of tooling so I have no doubt it’s gonna be sold before the seller returns my email
As soon as I emailed the seller he went into the ad and marked it as pending, it had been listed for 14 hours ....

At this point I’m getting used to it. If this keeps up like this I’m gonna have to wait for one of my neighbors to post one for sale so I can get there in time

Heavy 10 is a nice lathe, but probably kind of small for what you described wanting. $1500 for one in decent shape with tooling I'm not surprised it went fast. I see many around here asking 2-3x that price. Threaded spindle is most common, but occasionally you see them with a camlock spindle.

They are popular because they are a relatively small / lightweight (compared to a 12" or larger) lathe with many big lathe features. Where most 10" lathes have a 3/4 to 1" spindle bore, most Heavy 10s have a 1-3/8" spindle bore so they can use a 5C collet closer and I think a quick change gear box was standard.

They were / still are common in school shops so they also have a familiarity / nostalgia thing going for them with many people.

They look like the lathes that my union had in the shop at the training facility it has in Maryland. They were nice and seemed to stand up to the wear and tear, even with apprentice use, I’m sure they got very good maintenance as everything there was very nice. I could e satisfied with a lathe that size but I’m thinking I’d be happier with larger, I’m zeroing in on the 13-14 inch as the most desirable for me. There is one that’s been lingering in marketplace in Maine for a long time , either its sold and the seller hasn’t removed his ad or it’s priced too high ($2800) I have to say the pile of junk in the chip tray has kept me from inquiring as I’m thinking if that’s how you take care of your stuff I’m not really too interested.

Back