Advice on lathe for home shop

No worries @hman - I'm a big boy and I know what I'm getting into. No regrets, but it'll nearly double the price and at least 100 hours of work, but it will be a great grinder when done.

... Since the MSC isn't properly tooled (no 4 jaw, no steady rest, no face plate, no change gears) -- I'd pass on it unless you can satisfy 2 things: it is a smoking deal, and you are willing to spend a year getting parts for it.
There's another variable: the 4-jaw, steady rest, face plate, and change gears are assumed to be in good usable condition. I bought a lathe where the chuck was tired out and needed replacement. I effectively paid twice for the chuck, once as used, and again as new. It just goes back to looking everything over real close, even accessories.

I was just saying a similar thing to my wife, I should get the cash I’m willing to spend on a lathe and keep it at home , then when a lathe comes up for sale I can go look , cash in hand , as soon as possible. The MSC lathe that I was supposed to look at this afternoon was scooped up by someone else this morning. I talked with the seller this morning when the second buyer inserted himself in the mix and as he was missing the change gears I stepped back. I should have gone yesterday but I needed to get to a bank , lesson learned... all in all I’m glad to keep looking, I’m learning what fits and what doesn’t. It seems that 1500 clams is the magic number. Above that and the machines linger a while , at or below 1500 the are gone quickly.
thanks for the continued advise on these machines, I really do appreciate it, Eventually I’ll find “ the one”
Number one issue with buying used machinery - don't fall in love with it! There are and will be others coming to market!

But if you see any red flags, no't jump on it. I've made the mistake of buying a 'red flag' machine, and well, It is going to cost me a lot tol get running.
This is what’s causing most of my reluctance to charge out , cash in hand and an empty trailer in tow. I’m tending to get very deep into the internet researching the various models, size, weight, parts availability etc. to make sure I don’t step on my own crank as I’ve done in the past. in truth I enjoy the research as it’s a great way to educate myself. I’ve always just used whatever lathe was in the shop, now i have a chance to pick which lathe I’m going to use and it’s enjoyable to me to research all the different possibilities.
in that’s what I’m into this evening, i contacted a used machine dealer who’s ads I’ve seen all over marketplace and Craigslist . He’s written back with a nice looking Victor 1440GS well equipped rest, chucks, centers and a DRO. I’m sure dealers leave a lot of room to negotiate but he’s still above what I had planned to spend. But as an exercise in learning about the machine I’ve been trying to find out the differences between the 1440GS and the 1440G . All I can find is that the GS is no longer available new. does anyone have any idea what the difference is. Or an opinion on the quality/desirability of the victor lathes.

Don't know anything about Victor lathes but make sure it is not made in China. Taiwan is usually much better.

I too enjoy the research and the "hunt". I am currently filling out an Excel spreadsheet with the specs on new lathes I am interested in. Some of my data points are the total cost with shipping and what is included (4 jaw, etc.).

Hey guys can anyone help me?
I am installing new gear box on my 10f-atlas lathe and trying to make a lead screw off a leblond lathe work on it.
I turned it down to slide into it and it does, just wondering how far the lead screw go into the box is correct?
It goes all the way to end of spider gear but not to input gear is that right?

Hey guys can anyone help me?
I am installing new gear box on my 10f-atlas lathe and trying to make a lead screw off a leblond lathe work on it.
I turned it down to slide into it and it does, just wondering how far the lead screw go into the box is correct?
It goes all the way to end of spider gear but not to input gear is that right?
You should post in the Atlas subsection of this forum. It will be more visible and more likely to get replies.

Hobby Machinist Atlas Lathe forum

what I believe is a heavy ten has popped up , again a 2-1/2 hour ride away, that is interesting. It looks like it’s pretty well equipped, I see a taper attachment, a ton of collets, a couple cutting tools and tool holders, the headstock bushing to take a center, several centers,. I know the heavy ten is well regarded but I have zero experience with them. Can anyone school me on why they are so well regarded and why, or why not, I should spend a day to go look at this one?

Attachments

• 06E05E18-41C4-4E66-BE3F-9B4E479560C5.jpeg
    06E05E18-41C4-4E66-BE3F-9B4E479560C5.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 20
what I believe is a heavy ten has popped up , again a 2-1/2 hour ride away, that is interesting. It looks like it’s pretty well equipped, I see a taper attachment, a ton of collets, a couple cutting tools and tool holders, the headstock bushing to take a center, several centers,. I know the heavy ten is well regarded but I have zero experience with them. Can anyone school me on why they are so well regarded and why, or why not, I should spend a day to go look at this one?
It is an old SB, 'nuff said........

Back