Advice on lathe for home shop

I’m assuming the “modern” lathe is a rebadged Victor? The way these Asian lathes get rebadged is really confusing. I’m very glad that you have first hand knowledge of the model I’m interested in, they change them so often you can’t be sure if the one you’re reading about is actually comparable to the lathe you are interested in buying. I think I found that the sharp 1440 F is similar to the victor 1440GS , at least the control layout looks very similar. Im trying to find a manual for the machine online but I’m coming up empty, was this model a short lived one?

This is what I was referring to early in this thread about the older import lathes. It sounds like some are very good machines, but trying to keep track of the different brands and models that they were sold under would require a very detailed chart.

Yes, I believe so. But with these production lines there is almost no way of knowing what the 'original' brand is, but Victor will do. You already know all I know about this model. I have contacted my friend to ask a few questions.

Dabbler, thanks for reaching out to your friend, I appreciate all your help.

A new machine has popped up this morning, it’s an enco which I generally think we’re a lower end machine but I’m learning that what is now a Chinese lathe of suspect quality could have in the past been a Taiwanese lathe of passable standards. This one is a 16” with 3 jaw, 4 jaw quick change tool post with holders steady rest follow rest face plate drill chuck and a couple live centers. He’s asking 1500 beans.

Attachments

• BE64DC5F-1EBF-40E2-9DF2-F17E6D28FA06.jpeg
    BE64DC5F-1EBF-40E2-9DF2-F17E6D28FA06.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 30
@GSweldmech At least it looks complete. Stefan Gotteswinter has an Enco lathe, so they can't be all bad.

Frankly if it turns and isn't completely trashed, it is a steal. It will have been a little abused: No one should ever place the chucks directly on the ways like that, there is rust on the chucks, etc. It doesn't look all that bad, really. Do you have a precision square or straight edge? Can he power it up for you?

There is no better diagnostic than turning it in forward and reverse directions, in all the speeds and engaging the power cross and longitudinal power feeds. Make sure the half nut engages and disengages without jamming, and you're set!

This looks like the best value/$ you've found so far -- if you have the room for it. [edit] it looks like it is a low-hours machine.

Provided it's in workable condition, that's a great price for that lathe!

For $1500 I’d be all over that machine.

I’m waiting for a return email or call, this one is at that magic $1500 price where they go fast. i don’t have a precision straight edge, I’ve been using the fingernail method to find wear ridges on the ways, if i get to go see this one before it’s sold I could tighten the gibs at the headstock and traverse looking for tight spots. The ad says it’s coming from a one man shop so it may very well be a very low hour machine. I just looked on FB market place and he’s got it listed there too, that ad calls out 230 3 phase (perfect for me) and a taper attachment.... I contacted through FB as well hopefully this works out.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is only an opinion, but I think your budget is a bit light for a well tooled professional quality machine in good condition. Some of those you looked at I would consider professional quality, while others (again in my opinion) are upper level quality hobby machines.

Having said that I looked for over 2 years before settling on the Sheldon I purchased. I wanted a professional quality machine with at least a 13" swing and longer bed length. I found dozens of smaller machines, and several in the size category, but all were either badly worn or without tooling. I happened across the one I purchased by shear circumstance.

I was proposing a possible work around for a large diameter part on another board when one member suggested I contact another member who had a machine the size I was looking for. The owner hadn't advertised the machine for sale, but had mentioned purchasing a larger one in another thread. I messaged the owner asking if the machine in question was for sale, and if so the asking price. His reply was that he would consider selling it and offered a price. I made arrangements to inspect it and went from there. I didn't have any idea the machine was freshly rebuilt until he showed me the invoices for the parts, and services he had performed. When the machine was rebuilt he didn't have any intention of selling it. However after a few years he realized a larger machine would be in his interest.

I ended up paying about $1,000.00 more than you're original budget. I still consider it a bargain in that it came with 2, 3 jaw chucks, 2, 4 jaw chucks, a collet changer system, QCTP, several, Jacobs drill chucks, several live and dead centers, a face plate, a dog plate, a steady rest, a follow rest, and other assorted tooling. If you're careful, patient, perseverant, discriminating, and possibly a bit lucky you should be able to find exactly what you're looking for. Over the years I've found it's better to take more time looking and make a 1 time purchase rather than attempting to "upgrade" every few years.

Still nothing from the seller of the 16X40 Enco. I’m wondering if the emails from Craigslist are going into his junk folder. I’ve looked around and it seems that this Enco is a dead ringer for a Birmingham YCL but I can’t find much feed back about these lathes and their quality. There’s almost nothing about the Enco lathe and nearly nothing about the Birmingham’s. Does anyone have any experience or second hand knowledge on the Enco or Birmingham’s?

GSweldmech....
As you are finding out, the used lathe market is a fickle one. Either the lathes seem to be worn out "old iron" or newer ones of questionable origin. However, I am going to guess that Enco was likely made in Taiwan. As others have said, unless it was completely shot, I would be all over it for $1500. That is a steal.
I am about to pull the trigger on a new Eisen lathe. They are made in Taiwan by Sunmaster, which is a huge manufacturer of metalworking machines, and they have been in business since 1994, which to me seems like yesterday but when I actually do the math it is
27 years (Errrrmmmm, where does time go?!).
As ProjectNut pointed out above, there is a LOT of luck involved in finding a lathe. Knowing the right people, at the right time, being in the right place. In 5 years of searching, I have found about 3 lathes that I would consider contenders, the most recent a LeBlond 15x54 servo shift, but alas, I decided it was just too dang big to be moving. It went for $4775 plus tax and auction fee (total 22.5%) for $5849. Plus, you had to hire a machinery mover to lift it onto your trailer (insurance reasons) so another $600. That put it at $6489. It came with nothing. No tool post, no chucks. Nothing. That lathe would have been $8000 by the time you were done.
Another one I found was a Jet 1440. Looked like new almost. It was in a basement and the new homeowners wanted it out. By the time I saw the ad and picked up the phone, it was gone. $1200. I will never see one like that again.
There is a beautiful but older Clausing-Colchester in Minneapolis. $13,000. Yep, $13k

If you are willing to wait to get what you want, you can probably find it. Luck may be on your side and this Enco will work out, or it could be another year or two before something comes along that is a "deal" and fits your list of "needs".

The Eisen I am considering will be about the same price as the LeBlond when I am done. But it fits my space much better and I can buy it now, with no searching. Somewhat a rambling post here, and to continue with my rambling theme, I used to have a friend that could not figure out why mini-vans were so popular. He kept pointing out that a full size conversion van was the same price. I kept pointing out that the full size vans are harder to park, take a lot of gas, drive like a boat and only had one sliding door. It is all about what fits ones needs.

Back