Added another car to the garage. 67 Nova

The housing is in, and square now, this is the new clearance inner, and outer, the rear has been moved back 1", but may be too much. I washed the car today with all of the grinding there is a lot to clean off of the body. I took 2hrs of clay bar to do 1/2 of the trunk lid :rolleyes:

The tank fits, and the filler hose lines up, but the tank straps are loose. What is good to put above the tank to space it down, the gap is about 1/2"?

1/2"? How about a 1/4" sheet of maybe some sound deadening material on top and cut two 1/4" strips for between the straps and tank?
Actually I haven't had enough coffee yet, so I'm not sure sound deadening material is a good choice. Maybe rubber or neoprene?

I have the exact same problem on the 55. I didn't think of putting something above the tank to space it down. You got me on that one.

I did use some rubber matting I had to make some pads I guess you would say to go between the straps and the tank. The stock straps had some kind of asphalt based stuff between the tank and the straps. I didn't want the straps on without something to cushion them. The straps tighten up and I can actually tighten them more but that didn't seem to take up the gap between the tank and straps. It's like the straps were bent incorrectly. The ones on the nova were perfect. Both tank are from Tanks, inc.

I thought about trying to re bend the straps but I think I'd do more harm than good doing that. And it was a royal pain to hold the tank up far enough to get the fuel pump and sending unit wire and ground wires on. I really don't want to do that again.

20230808_092821.jpg20230808_092847.jpg20230808_092856.jpg

I have material for the strap protector, and I have some sound deadener here some place. I'm wondering about a high density closed cell foam like in a kids boogie board?

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd use some rubber sheeting on top of the tank. Hold down on squeaking. grip the tank so to stay in place, and protect the tank metal.

This may sound dumb, but I've got these cushion mats in front of my lathes and mills. They are 1/2" thick and about the right length. For me here I'd have no problem cutting 2" of the end of one to use.

20230808_110849.jpg

Perfect! Trim to fit, some weatherstripping cement so it doesn't slip out of position.
And as an added plus you can tell your buddies it's the pre-lightened racing version! (Just kidding)

Back