A Project Quest

Involute Gear Cutters only make one set of teeth precise. By that I mean only the first number, the lowest is the precise number. Let me ease it a little, say you want 48 teeth like we need. The #3 cutter can cut 35 to 54 teeth. Only the 35will cut on the money. This is true with all 8 of the cutters. We will make our own cutter to get as close as we can to the precise 48 teeth. Gonna call it a 3.5. LOL Can do folks, can do. Gotta get some sleep. I'll dream of this allllllll night. ROTFLMBO

"Billy G"

I just talked to Bill and he is going to post an isometric drawing of how the lead screw backlash will be controlled.

"Billy G"

Detail 16 in the drawing becomes a fixed nut. Detail 16A then becomes an adjustable nut to remove backlash. These together work the same as a split nut.

Thank you Bill. You are correct. The nut to the left of the plate is locked in with a set screw. It stays in place . The upper nut (right) has a groove all the way around the OD. It can be moved to bring the lead screw as close as possible to zero backlash, then it is locked in place with a setscrew. Same as using a split nut.

"Billy G"

A threaded Clamptite collar (H-K/Allen) could be modified with spanner holes to give infinite adjustment with positive locking without any scarring of the screw or stub extension if choosing non-threaded collars. Something about set screws leaves me uncomfortable with fine adjustments. Collars such as Clamptite leave no marks on the shaft or screw at all, and are very secure in holding position. Again, just thinking out loud. Just tell me to shush if I am interfering. Somehow I feel the need for some pretty precise balancing between left and right elevating forces.

One thing I believe we should try to consider is that this is something for a hobby machine shop. So we have to be aware not to over think things to the point they become complex or expensive to make. The more we can make ourselves the less the cost. Or at least that was my thought in the beginning.

Good point, Bill. I do tend to over analyze things, but I am driven to best results first, and sometimes other factors cloud my thinking. Not that in this case the collars I refer to are expensive, or something that couldn't be made or perhaps even improved on, but your point is well taken. I'm just trying to toss out ideas to keep the thought processes from getting rutted. As usual, the poor cat can get skinned again in many ways.

And yes, not being a hobbyist does affect my approach. But sometimes exposure to commercial work is very enlightening and many concepts can cross over to the hobby shop.

Thank you Tony and Bill. The set screw bothered me also but I decided to go with them because of hopefully few adjustments. I will keep the collars in mind though. A fine thread on the OD of the collar and a lock nut would also work. We have options.

"Billy G

Back