A Project Quest

Tony,
I do know what you mean.
When I was working as a toolmaker I didn't care what something cost as long as it was something good. But now that I am on a low fixed income and not much left every month, cost means more to me. I have seen a few milling machines that I could have afforded if I was still working. But now that I am not I can't seem to find anything I can afford that is available.

My personal opinion is that the set screw is not a problem as this machine is used in a hobby setting and will not have the use as in a professional setting, therefore not requiring any adjustment that often.
Just my 2 cents worth.

The adjustment is extremely fine anyway. At it longest distance it can only be thread to thread. Any way you do it should be no problem. It is nice however to have as many options as possible. I finished figuring out the cutter dimensions today for a precise 48 teeth. This will keep backlash to a minimum.

"Billy G"

The Rest of the prints I have. Please keep in mind these can change as Billy G and Mark go along.

Attachments

• Spreader Adjuster.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cross feed Nut support.pdf
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Hand Wheel Sleeve.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Zero Disk.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
I've got some more for you, I'll get there this week. Got more steel to order this week also. All who watch this build please note, it ain't cheap, but not near as much as a new one.

"Billy G"

Another approach.
The compound on my Summit lathe uses a two nut system, One is press fit as yours with tapered pins locking it to the casting, the other nut can turn in the casting as yours, The shoulder has maybe 20 teeth cut in it. Two spring loaded pins can slide out into the slots, when one pin is engaged the other is behind a tooth to give 1/2 tooth adjustment.

Greg

A big thank you for that approach Greg.

"Billy G"

Got word yesterday that all8 pcs. of 1018 pickled will arrive on Thursday. I will get with the "Water Jet " people tomorrow and finalize the cutting. ( 8 pcs. 1/2 X 24 X 24 ) It will be .040 over to allow for finish machining. Once cut amd machined here at my shop, a set will be sent to Mark. This is one time Marks' machinery will not have to be pushed over the edge. LOL

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Got word yesterday that all8 pcs. of 1018 pickled will arrive on Thursday. I will get with the "Water Jet " people tomorrow and finalize the cutting. ( 8 pcs. 1/2 X 24 X 24 ) It will be .040 over to allow for finish machining. Once cut amd machined here at my shop, a set will be sent to Mark. This is one time Marks' machinery will not have to be pushed over the edge. LOL

"Billy G"
I appreciate that, Bill. Those might just be a little big for the Burke.

They might make it but I wouldn't want to chance the hold. It won't tax my 8520 but it won't be the easiest job I've done on it. I will need an engineering plate that I have to do it properly.

"Billy G"

Back