A Project Quest

Whoa -- long time no see. LOL

Let's visit the gears again. I want to change the center to center distance to 4 inches for clearance reasons. A good reference book here is "Gears and Gear Cutting" by Ivan Law. It is #17 in the Workshop Practice Series. Extremely easy to follow.

Ok, knowing I have three gears and I want them all the same for ease of machining. Still using 48 teeth but the new pitch diameter is an even 4,00 inches.

Need the DP ( Diametral Pitch) DP = N/PD 48/4 = 12 The new DP is 12

Cutter now needed is #3 12DP 14.5 PA. It will cut a tooth depth of .180. Nice when all numbers are even. LOL Just ordered the cutter this morning.

Update on the steel, ???? It was supposed to be at the Water Cutter last week. No show yet. I will give them a call tomorrow. That's all I have for now. I will update again tomorrow.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to add that although not rocket science, gear cutting can become very confusing. For this very reason I highly recommend the book referred to above. Just reading chapter 1 the Basics you will become at ease with the subject. By the time you reach the formula chapter you will feel as if you have really accomplished something. Gear Design is a complicated thing, but with a little reading, hands on will be much simpler. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have if I can. If I can't we will search for the answer together. Have fun.

"Billy G"

I look forward to things getting going again here. Are all or most of the prints ready?

These are the gears for raising and lowering the wheel, correct?

I have to get with Bill and all the prints will be done. There are 52 or 54 individual prints. Yes Mark those are the gears to raise and lower the spindle.

"Billy G"

Has there been any thought to gathering all the parts to build one and maybe offer a price to buy the kit to build our own at home. Like a Hemingway kit. Just thinking if we could help each other , sometimes it's hard to find everything. I don't know just my troubles always trying to find everything needed to do a build. It may help with price if the dealers going to sell 10 sets over just one or two. Even ask them to save the cutting dimensions so others can just order . I don't know just thinking from my point of view.

That could be done but one must be built first to see what is involved. Thank you for that input, I hadn't thought about it. Maybe even a partial kit could be done.

"Billy G"

Billy will be calling me tomorrow evening after I get through with my bone scans. We can talk about getting together for prints then.

Bill G., what and where is this Workshop Practice Series you mention above? TIA
"
A good reference book here is "Gears and Gear Cutting" by Ivan Law. It is #17 in the Workshop Practice Series. Extremely easy to follow."

Back