A Possibly Very Short Restoration Thread

On the plus side, there's some original scraping marks under the headstock. Its possible someone had it apart and actually scraped it in the 82 years since it was built, but not probable. In either case, that should be usable for a reference later on.

Attachments

• 20240104_121003.jpg
    20240104_121003.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240104_121042.jpg
    20240104_121042.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn't stress too much about the wear. As long as the saddle isn't worn so bad that it's riding on the top of the V then you'll be fine. The fact that the wear seems to run most of the bed is a plus as it should diameters more consistent near the chuck where most people work. My near 100yr has wear nearly as bad as that and it runs very well, no chatter unless I push things too hard.

Wear like this? The top of the front V is cutting into the head of the screw holding my rear wiper cover on!

EDIT: Misoriented, that appears to be the front wiper on the front way, sorry.

Attachments

• 20240104_102348.jpg
    20240104_102348.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 16
looked pretty similar, yes. The top of the V way wasn't hitting the bottom (top?) of the saddle V way, so I filed down the ridges on the sides of the saddle V way and called it good.

I don't have any before pics, but if you look closely you can see the different color metal at the edges of the Vs from filing it off. No precision benefit from doing so, can't actually remember why I did to be honest. Maybe let the way oil flow out more easily?
IMG_9883.JPG

I like your oil grooves, but I'm curious about the oil ports- I don't know that my saddle has those. Did you add those, or are mine so occluded with gunk that they don't show up?

I like your oil grooves, but I'm curious about the oil ports- I don't know that my saddle has those. Did you add those, or are mine so occluded with gunk that they don't show up?
I added those myself. Also added them to the tail stock and the cross slide :) Details are buried in here:
1929 SB wide 9

Is there supposed to be a gib back here? This is looking up at the underside of the back part of the saddle... only one screw, but it looks like it should be bearing on something in that gap, not just dragging on the back way of the bed.

Attachments

• 20240106_121431.jpg
    20240106_121431.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 8
Is there supposed to be a gib back here? This is looking up at the underside of the back part of the saddle... only one screw, but it looks like it should be bearing on something in that gap, not just dragging on the back way of the bed.
Yes, you are missing the lower bracket. The saddle has those threaded holes, there should be a bold on bracket to hold it to the ways.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Back