80% Lowers

Seems like making those jaws would take a lot of time. Beautiful work though.
I made a set from Ray Brandes' drawings as well but included takedown and pivot pin holes. Only took about 1.5 hours to cut them out. Another 30 minutes to mark them up. -Dave
WP_20160309_18_32_55_Pro.jpg
My original intent was to use with a 0% forging

I have watched a number of videos. The router and drill press method doesn't seem to make sense if you have a full size mill.

Would it be legal to let someone watch me make one?

I sure agree about all the laws,rules and regulations. Ever try to get a license to produce and sell wine or spirits? We did.

Only with one eye open standing on their opposit foot, while waving a sign waning that very dangerous things are happening with OSHA approved safety goggles and hearing protection, that's all.

be very careful with your depth. When milling the rear portion near the buffer tube mount, you need to remember to remove the rear bolt from your jig or you will break your endmill. remember not to climb mill.

I made a set from Ray Brandes' drawings as well but included takedown and pivot pin holes. Only took about 1.5 hours to cut them out. Another 30 minutes to mark them up. -Dave
View attachment 124287
My original intent was to use with a 0% forging

Would you please direct me to Ray Brandes' drawings? Thank you.---Matt

I thought of that after I was done making these. o_O I have a set of blank 8" jaws so if I make another set they will have the pin holes included.

-Ron

arlower.ray-vin.com/ar15/ You will want to grab the last file, the complete pdf.

Thanks, after looking through that entire book I'm sticking with the 80%er. After I do an 80 I just might attempt a forging but it seems way above my present skill level.

After you have completed the 80% why not try a 0%. It is not as hard as it looks, just be careful when buying the forging as there are some that are just castings and are very weak. As far as the legality of making your own receiver, you can make for your own use and you can dispose of it at a later date. You cannot make with the intent of selling without a license to manufacture . Just be very careful helping others building with your equiptment as this is a easy way to get yourself in a mess. I would also recommend that you put a serial number on it, in case it was to get stolen. Try the forging route you will learn a lot. Good luck.

If I'm successful with the 80 I'll probably try the zero.

I probably should have bought at least three 80s because I almost always mess up at least two of anything before I get it right (or give up).

I definitely will serial number it. Can't wait 'till I get the forging.

Back