80% Lowers

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A few weeks ago my friend, Bullitt Bob told me about 80% Lowers. I had never heard of them and, besides that, was never very much interested in "Black Rifles".

Then I set to thinking. I have a fairly complete machine shop with a Bridgeport, 13x36 Clausing lathe, surface grinder, and the usual other tools and machines. And I had nothing "on the spindles". So...I went ahead and ordered an 80%er and jigs.

Bullitt has made many of them. He says "Piece of cake. Takes me about 20-30 minutes to complete one". Now Bullitt is an old-time most excellent machinist who can and has built complete guns (except for the rifling) out of a chunk of steel.

Now I am an amateur, amateur machinist. Has anyone any advice as to how I should proceed?

Prices have come way down on complete lowers so you can get them for the same price or cheaper than 80%ers. Unless you really want to do it I would just buy a 100%er. I went that route.

Reactions: DHJ
Hi
Any advice, No.
But if you do not try, you do not learn.
You can do it, one step at a time, it may cost you in parts & time,but you will get there.
So if you have the money & the time, go for it.

I'm thinking it will be a fun project and I have a few friends that might also want to make one.

Anderson sells low priced finished lowers for about $55 around here. I have a few of them. But I also have been toying around with the idea of a few 80%ers for a few reasons. Main reason being that I just want to mill the fire control group pocket....one problem, I don't currently own a mill or a milling attachment for my lathe.

My main reason is that I just want to see if I can do it. I probably won't even go to a full build. I really don't need another rifle. But then again I don't really need a completed lower...

I say go for it! Who knows, you may end up turning it into a complete build. Just don't break any laws like selling/giving it away without serializing it. If I remember correctly....

I say go for it! Who knows, you may end up turning it into a complete build. Just don't break any laws like selling/giving it away without serializing it. If I remember correctly....

I fully intend to comply with all laws. I'll put my own serial # on mine.

You should also mill your own logo on it. Make it 100% unique. That's one of the first things I plan on doing when I get a mill.

Am I correct that you cannot sell completed 80% lowers under any circumstances? That would make you a gun manufacturer. BATF recommends you put a serial number on them.
R

Back