80% Lowers

You may be correct. I don't feel like searching for the written law at the moment.

That's the way I understand it. Is it legal for me to allow friends to use my machine and tools to complete their own lowers under my guidance?

Am I correct that you cannot sell completed 80% lowers under any circumstances? That would make you a gun manufacturer. BATF recommends you put a serial number on them.
R

That is correct, you may build your own firearms but you may not sell them.

Just got me wondering though, what becomes of them when you're 'gone'?

Also, 'gifting' them I believe is off limits as well.

Never thought it all the way through before but it would seem they are absolutely un-transferable.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to stamp anything, safe/fire for instance do so before you mill the pocket. Add a suitable number/mark to identify it and remove any confusion or concern about an "unserialized" firearm. It's not required but not every law enforcement person knows this. Drill/ream the pin holes first then proceed to the pocket. Follow the sections in Ray-vin's zero percent guide as appropriate. Enjoy the journey. Try out the chamber reaming or making the gas block, brake, anything you can.
Dave

It's my understanding that since BATF considers only the machined lower receiver casting of the AR series to be the firearm, all other parts of an AR pistol or rifle (which are not an NFA item) are not a firearm and may be sold, gifted, or transferred without regulatory complication. One could legitimately transfer the upper assembly, the buttstock, and all fire control components which ARE NOT the machined/finished lower receiver casting. A recipient could simply buy a commercially finished lower receiver and build a complete AR firearm with those parts. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Tom

Just completed an 80 percent lower - it was a satisfying little project. Did just because I could (maybe a Texas thing). A PM-25 is just about the least mill you need for an 80 percent. For a forging, you would do well to use a larger mill. RayVin's instructions are very important - he has it methodized very well.

It's my understanding that since BATF considers only the machined lower receiver casting of the AR series to be the firearm, all other parts of an AR pistol or rifle (which are not an NFA item) are not a firearm and may be sold, gifted, or transferred without regulatory complication. One could legitimately transfer the upper assembly, the buttstock, and all fire control components which ARE NOT the machined/finished lower receiver casting. A recipient could simply buy a commercially finished lower receiver and build a complete AR firearm with those parts. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Tom

Yes, that's all correct. Sorry, I should have been more specific that my speculation was related directly to the 'firearm' (lower receiver in the case of the AR-15 or the normally serialized part in other cases).

Stan,

Yes, that's all correct. Sorry, I should have been more specific that my speculation was related directly to the 'firearm' (lower receiver in the case of the AR-15 or the normally serialized part in other cases).

Stan,

Certainly no need to say sorry, Stan. Firearm regulations are nearly as obtuse and burdensome as aviation regs. I normally have to read each paragraph about 4 times before I understand them. It really gets fun when they refer the reader to Subsection C42, Article III, Paragraphs 2 and 408, UNLESS . . . . . :confused:

Tom

Ain't bureaucracy great

Stan,

My understanding is that you can sell a homemade firearm, you just can't make it with the intent to sell. It's all about intent. Now if you were selling several a year it would be hard to convince BATF that you are not manufacturing. It is very grey.

Back