80% Lowers

My understanding is that you can sell a homemade firearm, you just can't make it with the intent to sell. It's all about intent. Now if you were selling several a year it would be hard to convince BATF that you are not manufacturing. It is very grey.
You are correct.

Is it legal for me to allow friends to use my machine and tools to complete their own lowers under my guidance?
No you cant. You will be aiding in the manufacture and hence would need to be a 07 license holder.

Bingo! Perfectly legal to sell your homemade firearms. VERY illegal to build them with the INTENT to sell or gift.

The hottest thing in 80% jigs these days are jigs where you use a small trim router & hand drill or press to do the milling.

80% arms or Modulus jigs are HOT and usually on backorder.

Right now you won't save money over a $40.00 Anderson lower. But things change RAPIDLY !! And I won't go into politics to explain why. It is always nice to have the ability to make your own.
Advice? Go watch some of the many youtube videos of finishing 80%er's

If you get the build your own firearm bug, there is a swell forum just for that. But I don't want to get into trouble mentioning other forums here either.
This is still by far my favorite home machining hangout!!

Certainly no need to say sorry, Stan. Firearm regulations are nearly as obtuse and burdensome as aviation regs. I normally have to read each paragraph about 4 times before I understand them. It really gets fun when they refer the reader to Subsection C42, Article III, Paragraphs 2 and 408, UNLESS . . . . . :confused:

Tom

I would agree with that if Feds didn't have the market cornered on Aviation Regulations but throw in state laws on firearms and, POW!, you get a confusing stew with chicken, beef, hotdogs, and tofu. With a little granola sprinkled on top.

Bingo! Perfectly legal to sell your homemade firearms. VERY illegal to build them with the INTENT to sell or gift.

The hottest thing in 80% jigs these days are jigs where you use a small trim router & hand drill or press to do the milling.

80% arms or Modulus jigs are HOT and usually on backorder.

Right now you won't save money over a $40.00 Anderson lower. But things change RAPIDLY !! And I won't go into politics to explain why. It is always nice to have the ability to make your own.
Advice? Go watch some of the many youtube videos of finishing 80%er's

If you get the build your own firearm bug, there is a swell forum just for that. But I don't want to get into trouble mentioning other forums here either.
This is still by far my favorite home machining hangout!!

I have watched a number of videos. The router and drill press method doesn't seem to make sense if you have a full size mill.

Would it be legal to let someone watch me make one?

I sure agree about all the laws,rules and regulations. Ever try to get a license to produce and sell wine or spirits? We did.

I haven't read all of the laws, rules, regulations other than what has been said here. But could you legally sell your "homemade" toy to a license gun dealer? Or anyone that has their FFL Dealers license?

Since you have a full size mill don't even consider getting one of the jigs. I found them to be a waste of time and they actually made the finishing of the lower more difficult. If you want to see how it's done and what's put in to it here is a link to how I did mine: http://www.arcaneiron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28

Hope that helps,

-Ron
Seems like making those jaws would take a lot of time. Beautiful work though.

Back