70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

I bent up.a steel glove box for the C10 to replace the cardboard original I shredded putting in ducts
It ate far more time than I expected, but it was mostly fun.
Some production stills including the CAD(Cardboard-aided design) work

Attachments

• IMG_6114.jpg
    IMG_6114.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6121.jpg
    IMG_6121.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6132.jpg
    IMG_6132.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 9
Here's the more-or-less final product. I really should pull it apart and tweak some bends for a tighter fit, but I'd rather spend some time making a Fusion360 drawing and buttoning up the dash, then moving on to the next disaster

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpeg
    IMG_6371.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 10
Turns out, there is no standard for how you clock your distributor on SBC 350's. Important to know before you rip out all the plug wires ;-)
Also, when you have the points with attached condenser, there is no feeler gauge that will fit under the centrifugal advance weights and between the lobe and condenser cap ;-)
Also, who ever thought putting the distributor back against the firewall was a good idea. I'm 6'6" and I guess shorter people just lay on top....or take off the hood...and windshield....or they bought the straight 6? ;-)
It's an adventure
You check point gap between the contacts, not at the cam lobe.

even a standard VOM can be used to set points. first find vehicle with points properly set. mark the reading on the vom . you can then use it to set the points on any similar motor.

You check point gap between the contacts, not at the cam lobe.
yep, but you still have to thread something in there to check them. Besides the location, I had made it worse by getting the type with the internal condenser. With the correct part, the can sits out of the way.

even a standard VOM can be used to set points. first find vehicle with points properly set. mark the reading on the vom . you can then use it to set the points on any similar motor.
A good trick for the second time around, but I only own one vehicle with points.......or a distributor for that matter

I started out with Cardboard-aided-design, now I'm trying to close the loop.
I've used Fusion360 for 3d printing so felt reasonably comfortable, but there has been much to learn with sheet metal origami. It's fun though

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 11.39.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 11.39.54 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back