70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

That vacuum reservoir is used for accessories like Heater/AC, Cruise control and emission systems if required.
Pierre

If you really want cloth tubes, MacMaster Carr might be a place to look at?
Pierre

reservoir is still in use, but the shoelace is gone now
I already bought a set of hoses that are plastic, but look like fabric until you get up close

Got the ducts swapped out, it was NOT a linear process ;-) Not much room or light, so few pix worth sharing.
This first one demonstrates the legendary Chevy craftsmanship with stalactites of seam sealer.
Just to get the old hose pieces out and gain access, I had to remove the Glovebox cover, the glovebox itself, instrument panel, 5 vents, and the heater/AC control panel.

I needed two hands to get the hose onto its fittings, so had to pull some pieces out connect them, then put them back. To remove just the fitting at top left, I also ended up removing the radio and speaker.

I had bought a set of replacement(unmarked) hoses which all worked out for diameter and length...if not always on the first try, but some fit tighter than others. I improvised some baling wire hose clamps to retain some of the hoses to their fittings, since I felt it would hold up better than duct tape or zip ties over time and heat. Surprisingly, the plastic vent pieces were not brittle at all, and snapped in and out of place cooperatively

The speaker cone was the consistency of a dry leaf, and the cardboard glovebox didn't survive extraction, nor did the wiper switch, which was apparently held together entirely by grease at this point.
Also swapping out a broken defroster lever, floor duct, that had succumbed to the ravages of time.
Dash pad goes on next

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 11.00.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 11.00.41 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 11.02.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 11.02.30 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
You can see the new ducts above, and some more here

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 6.11.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 6.11.59 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Dash was flat black over body color(dash was typically oversprayed with a flat paint in the same color as the interior, since shiny bright paint would reflect off the inside of the windshield)
I fogged some Duplicolor over this(this is the "before" picture) to bring it back to a somewhat original look before wrestling the new dash pad in place:

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 6.13.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Back