70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

About a distributor in a small block (or any GM V-8 from '55 to '73 (my memory may be off on the years. We used a dwell meter to set the points. They're still available relatively cheap. Oh, an allen wrench was helpful too.

About a distributor in a small block (or any GM V-8 from '55 to '73 (my memory may be off on the years. We used a dwell meter to set the points. They're still available relatively cheap. Oh, an allen wrench was helpful too.
And a blue point file...

Turn the Allen wrench until the engine misses and then backed off a 1/4 turn or so.
It is also possible to use an analog volt meter with some math to set the points.
Hit the swap meets, dwell meters are dinosaurs to most today!
Pierre

Last edited:
The strike pad on a matchbook works fine... if you can find a matchbook today.
Many auto parts stores still ignition sell points files. They are available in our area from NAPA stores. They're also available online from Amazon and Summit Racing. There are even several listings on eBay.

here's an oldie. Don't think it's from the 30's though:

That model is from the 1950s. I bought a Standard Oil service station in the early 1970s The previous owner had one he purchased new in 1958. It was a great machine for cars of that era. However electronic ignition was starting to come into vogue. Some of the functions were still useful, but by in large it was already obsolete.

Back