70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

hallafrippinlujah I've finished buttoning up the brake lines and the damned disk upgrade is finished......except that I didn't move the hole on the lever because the instructions suck and it should be at a 4:1 position for power brakes and probably isn't......

Went to swap out the Idler arm, thinking it was a 2 bolt job, and ended up having to unbolt the inner tie-rod, the Pittman arm and started to loosen the anchor from the idler arm to the frame. Problem is the center-link is trapped in place by the oil pan and the Pittman and idler arms come in at a different angle from the tierods. I was planning to swap out the Pittman arm anyway, but didn't expect to dissassemble the whole steering system.
2 steps forward, 5 steps back ;-)

I got the puzzle put back together today. I scraped off a ton of "poor man's undercoating" from years of accumulated oil and grit
Put in a shiny new Moog Pitman arm+idler arm, a few 90* Zerks so I can actually grease things.
Inner tierods in particular had to be installed without Zerks to clear the crossmember and get them inserted in the center link, then I had to screw the Zerks in with my fingertips after the tapers were torqued up.
I'll post some of my own pix tomorrow, but I've shared the most impressive feat I performed today, that I could never repeat

Attachments

• steering_linkage.png
    steering_linkage.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 11
Ripped out the old cloth heater hoses(they don't make those anymore either), most of which were not connected.

Attachments

• IMG_5971-1.jpg
    IMG_5971-1.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 3
Also swapped in fresh plug wires and retired this cable management system
I'm pretty sure this was OEM, installed at the factory

Attachments

• IMG_2433-1.jpg
    IMG_2433-1.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 9
Back