5 cylinder Radial Engine

With a propeller you're almost done right? ;)

I have been mainly working on the cast iron liners for the cylinders. It takes a lot longer doing 5 than just one. I do have them all cut out and Loctite in to the cylinders. I let them set for 24 hours with a weight on them before I deck the cylinders so they won't move when they cure.

IMG_1753.JPG

I did get the new mounting board done and installed.
IMG_1761.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I honed the cylinders and am just about ready to mount them but one more step.
When I replaced the backing plate with a larger diameter one I found that the plate would interfere with the cylinders. Over to the mill and remove 0.200 off one side of each. I installed two head bolts in order to clock the cylinders correctly in the vice.
IMG_1754.JPG

And here they are all done.
IMG_1759.JPG

Pistons and rods next.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Those look great. How tall are they?

David the cylinders are 1.75 tall including the liners.

Picture of the piston and rod combinations.
IMG_1766.JPG

All cylinders installed and working smoothly.
IMG_1767.JPG

And another view.
IMG_1769.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Beautiful work but, how in the world are you knocking this out so quickly? Would love to see some set up pictures along the way. How did you cut the cooling fin grooves?

Thank you for your comments Firstram.
I am old, retired, don't drink, and don't chase women I have plenty of time to work in the shop.
I will probably be cutting cooling grooves for the heads soon and will be sure to get some pictures.

Ray

Short day today as I installed the o rings on the pistons.
I hooked the engine up to an electric motor to exercise it and partially break it in. I ran it 15 minutes in forward and in reverse and things loosened up nicely. No strange noises and the compression is nearly equal on all cylinders.
IMG_1771.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back