5 cylinder Radial Engine

I am continually impressed every time I read an update. I can’t wait to see things in person.

Will

I got a late start today but things went remarkably well.

Cut a piece of new aluminum to length for the nose housing.
IMG_1524.JPG

Over to the lathe to reduce the diameter almost 1".
IMG_1526.JPG

So after a few hours turning on the lathe and a big pile of chips I found this.
IMG_1532.JPG

All shined up.
IMG_1534.JPG

I was concerned that the rough spot in the timing gears would get worse after the crank shaft was supported properly but it was just the opposite. The gears even feel better now and I think a little spinning on the lathe will solve the rest of the problems.
Very happy with the results today.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Will you are welcome here any time.

Ray

I wanted to change the valve lifter design from thew plans to one that had roller bearing ends. The original 1/8" lifter holes were enlarged to 3/8" for some brass bushings to fit in. I was concerned that if I used round lifters with a bearing they would try and turn sideways and bind up. (not good)
1/4" square brass stock with the roller in the end was my favorite style but how do I make a square hole in the brass bushings?
I could buy a square broach but that was too expensive and the brass rod varied in thickness so it would be a sloppy fit.
I tried making a broach twice but that it didn't turn out too well either.
I decided to machine the inside of the bushings on my CNC using a 1/8" end mill but that left material in the four corners of the square because the end mill is round. I could have removed the four corners with a file but decided to just cut the corners off the square rod instead.
IMG_1538.JPG

Ten bushings and ten lifters.
IMG_1540.JPG

Closeup of the lifters.
IMG_1544.JPG
With the bushings installed in the housing
IMG_1546.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

I don't have much luck slotting on the lathe with the cutoff blade to make the cooling fins. I can only get so deep and then it grabs and the excitement and bad language begins.
I have a slitting saw that is 0.060 thick and if I clamp the cylinders in the rotary table on the mill it may work better for me.
I will give it a try.
It was not a piece of cake and it took over 4 hours but they turned out quite nice.
View attachment 443657

I was so relieved it worked I couldn't help but bolt them on just to see how it would look.
View attachment 443658
And the other side.
View attachment 443659

I gave everything a good polish as well.
Now the cylinder head fins don't seem so daunting.

Thanks for looking
Ray

That looks fantastic. Great thread. I look forward to following your updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifters and bushings look great. Are you planning to locktite the bushings in place?

Welcome aboard Ben glad to have you.

I did have to use loctite on a couple of them but most pressed in fine.

Ray

Looking awesome!

Only one picture today as I had to mow the lawn first.
I made the rear cover and polished it. The washers are covering up some misaligned holes. I was very careful marking them I thought but I didn't take into consideration the phase of the moon. (In other words I messed up)
IMG_1549.JPG

I will be leaving on a 9 day cruise tomorrow so no new progress until I get back but I will be monitoring the forum.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back