5 cylinder Radial Engine

Five cylinder head slugs cut to size and width.
IMG_1772.JPG

Because of the equal distance Master Rod issue I had to cut some pockets in three of the heads to keep the compression ratio equal.
IMG_1778.JPG

Rod guide, spark plug, pockets and head bolt locations done on CNC.
IMG_1781.JPG

Head bolts and valve guides drilled out.
IMG_1783.JPG

Valve guides next

Thanks for looking
Ray

Superb. (I'm running out of adjectives.) Even looking at those plans this is daunting. I need a shop tour!

I decided that I should cut the cooling fins in the heads before I work on the valves.

This is the setup I used with my rotary table.
IMG_1787.JPG

I used a 0.060 slitting saw at a depth of 0.150 and cranked slowly with a lot of WD 40.
IMG_1786.JPG

Fresh off the mill.
IMG_1789.JPG

Back to the mill to remove the fins for the intake and exhaust connections.
IMG_1791.JPG

Still need to clean them up and de burr but here they are.
IMG_1792.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

That's right Robert and I have only had to move the head once since I started this project.

I made up the valve guides and seats today but I forgot to take any pictures of the operation.
This is the result.
IMG_1800.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

A huge step forward in the project as I have the cylinder heads completed. All the holes are drilled and tapped even the spark plug hole. The valve guides are installed and the counter hole has been drilled through the guides.

Drilling the intake and exhaust ports with a 0.100 offset.
IMG_1803.JPG

After some cleaning up.
IMG_1805.JPG

4 of the 5 heads have a different depth pocket so the ports are at a different height also.
This is head #1 with a 0.013 deep pocket.
IMG_1806.JPG

All lined up.
IMG_1809.JPG

Large deep pocket for the spark plug.
IMG_1810.JPG

Just remembered the rocker arm supports will need at least one hole in each head but that will be later.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back