32x40 H -- Gas Engine

Hi all
Having returned from Christmas in Scotland, with two 1/2" X 20 nuts. it's time to thread the ends of the crank shaft.
In the picture of the set up you can see that I use a dial gauge to measure the depth of cut, so I don't rely on the dials
just set the gauge to zero when the tool touches the work.

P1012995.JPG

Then on to the mill to cut the keyways for the flywheel and timing gear.

P1012997.JPG

The second full keyway is because, in the future I want to drive a V belt from inside the rear flywheel.

P1012996.JPG

Next job is to cut the keyways in the flywheels.

Brian.

P1012995.JPG P1012997.JPG P1012996.JPG

....In the picture of the set up you can see that I use a dial gauge to measure the depth of cut, so I don't rely on the dials
just set the gauge to zero when the tool touches the work.
View attachment 91509
Thats a neat trick, I havent seen that before! Such a simple idea too.

Cheers Phil

Decided to go for broke and Loctite the crank together, first the pin was secured in one web ensuring the oil hole was in the correct position.

P1013001.JPG

Next this web was secured on the shaft, with a tube to hold it firmly against the flange.

P1013003.JPG

Then the final part was fitted in the same way.

P1013005.JPG

This will now be put to one side until tomorrow, when I have to think about pinning them together with drill rod.

And that was quite enough nail biting for the day

Brian.

P1013001.JPG P1013003.JPG P1013005.JPG

Last stages
Drill and pin the joints. then mill out the centre.

P1013012.JPG

Test crank between centres , run out at the main bearing locations .01 mm-- Say .0005" I am more than happy with that.

P1013016.JPG

Done job, just need to fit the rod and recheck the static balance.

P1013015.JPG

Now for a sit down in front of the fire with a glass of wine.

Brian.

P1013012.JPG P1013016.JPG P1013015.JPG

Awesome project thread! Great skills and great documentation. I completely missed this thread too....how the heck did that happen? :noidea:

Pretty impressive from the designing to execution!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel.
I seem to have come a long way from that first "doodle",
Just could not resist doing a quick assembly just to see how it all fits so far, all the clearances. seem to be just fine .so the next part will be the cam shaft.

P1013017.JPG

Brian.

P1013017.JPG

I have been following your thread from my email notices and your moving right along. nice work, at the rate your going it will be popping soon.
Steve

I have been following your thread from my email notices and your moving right along. nice work, at the rate your going it will be popping soon.
Steve

Don't hold your breath Steve there is a long way to go yet.
Thanks for the encouragement it helps to know someone is looking, as you well know.
By the way how did it go with the museum and the sugar mill? did it all pan out OK.

Brian

The museum in Homosassa finally got back to me and declined because their museum is so small.
They suggested that I contact The management at Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, and see if they were interested in putting it in their waiting area. Since then I have not gone up there and it is sitting under a sheet in a corner of my shop close to finished but not installed in the cabinet yet. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, I'll probably put it on ebay, I don't have room for it in my home either.
Steve

Back