32x40 H -- Gas Engine

Been away in the shop making a new camshaft? I put a protractor on the engine to prove the valve timing, and it's a good job I did the opening periods where OK but the overlap was far to wide so I had to adjust the drawing and make a new camshaft. all is now just fine. The parts have arrived from J Howell for the gas demand valve. but I need a 3/8 x24 tap and that's not easy in Sicily, so I have had to order one. meanwhile I can get on with the machining, the thread can be the last job.

Brian :)
P1013067.JPG

This is a great build thread and you are making great progress. Keep up the good work, as I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

Beautiful project!
I love how chunky and industrial looking its proportions are.
Chris

Thank you for your comments much appreciated.
At home in Sicily the weather is awful, for the last three days we have had, Roads washed away , Retaining walls falling down and bridges closed, I think the view out of my library window says it all.
P1013070.JPG

The workshop is freezing cold but I have managed to get a few jobs done, the top water fitting and the exhaust stub are made but I have not yet drilled the head for the exhaust flange screws, a transfer punch job I think,
the stub was made from hot rolled steel from my local blacksmith, I cant find a supplier of good material locally.
Turning the stub produced a terrible finish so the finishing cut was taken with a shear tool to get a good finish.

P1013072.JPG

P1013073.JPG

Here is how it looks so far note it's on my desk not in the shop, just to keep warm.!!!

P1013075.JPG

P1013077.JPG

Slowly slowly Brian.Test

Brian;
Is the thread on that plug 1/4-32? I have taps for that thread if you need one. All model engine glow plugs are 1/4-32. I use them a lot.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill.
Thanks for the offer, but I managed to get a three tap set from the UK. I am not leaving the plug in the motor while it is being worked on for fear of it getting damaged.
Apart from hold up's due to weather, and post things are moving along , perhaps another three weeks will see it ready for it's first test .
Thanks for looking Brian.

The advance / retard mechanism is now in place, eventually the throttle will be mounted alongside.
the tap I have been waiting fore arrived today so I can now get on with the gas demand valve , the last part required.
P1013084.JPG

Getting near now Brian.

Back