3 Phase Emergency Stop Switch

If that is the switch you have or plan to buy, then A is correct.

But you could use B too. They both accomplish the same end result, but I would feel better seeing that mfg description of the two options.

Thanks Bi11 I really appreciate the time and effort you are devoting to assisting me. The drawing is indeed a redrawn manufacturers diagram. I was assuming the connection shown as "A" would be the connection that activates the contactor.

I haven't seen mentioned but a big safety advantage of using a motor controller is: should you loose power the motor will not automatically restart when power returns. You will need to push the on button again. If your power went off for a while and then returned while you were changing chucks or something it could be really nasty. Motor controllers will prevent that. Over the years I've bought quite a bit from Automation Direct. Good stuff, reasonable pricing and good help if you need it. As for electricians, most don't have a clue when it comes to controls.

I apologize for the delay, I have several reasons for it, none of which would mean anything to you. I include an elementary diagram of what I perceive your system to be. The overview drawing is essentially 11 by 8-1/2 inches. When viewed with a PDF reader, it can be expanded and scrolled as needed.

The largest is my perception of your RPC. I show several motors connected, disregarding any control functions. Your's may be different, it is primarily an overview. The rotating element is shown as a "delta" wound motor. While it gives a more balanced output, a "wye" motor will otherwise work just as well.

The center diagram depicts what I recommend for the power circuits. There are multiple locations that would be suitable for location of the reversing switch. I would recommend the rightmost location as it is most suitable for further modifications.

The smallest drawing depicts the recommended control system. It may be powered from the line side of the starter with 240 volts on the buttons. Or, it can be powered with low voltage, 24 volts being quite common for industrial installations. If low voltage is used, "L1" and "L2" on the control diagram would be changed tp "X1" and "X2".

Further, the "ESTOP" buttons have "mushroom head" operators and latching mechanisms. I picture them mounted on either side of the machine so one is accessable whichever way you run from a crash. There are "rope" operated switches designed for use along conveyors that could just as easily be used, albeit a little more costly. The type resembles a limit switch, but with a latching mechanism.

Also, there are references along the edge so that a question can be pinpointed. Let me know what you think. . .

Attachments

• RPC-OV.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
Back