3 Phase Emergency Stop Switch

Canus

Registered
Registered
Is there such a thing as an Emergency Stop Switch for a 3 phase device? I have a Southbend 16" lathe and would like to install an E stop switch on it. I would assume it would be a NC switch that will open when pressed.

The general idea is to use a physical temporary button to get power to a NO switch. Once it's closed by the temporary power, it powers itself, and the 3 phase contactor. Then a momentary switch to open a NC to cut power to the NO switch to shut everything down.

Such an animal as you are looking for does indeed exist. Actually several makes. You need to look into purely industrial devices. There are also single pole devices that will shut off the coil to the "M" contactor or the entire control system. They are much more reasonable in cost but not so absolute in power interruption. You just need to look outside the "hobby" circle, and forget electronics. You need an electrical control device.

to effectively cut off the power, you may need a 3 pole e-stop, unless you were to break the power with a control circuit

There is no control circuit. Lathe is wired directly into 3 phase power. Looking for a switch like Bi11Hudson and Ulma Doctor refer to. Google search has failed me so far. Anyone have a link to such a switch?

What does your electrics look like?
I couldn't get a good pic of my 16 x 72 s.b
Electrics.
I dont really understand why you want a e stop switch as it is not going to stop motion, this machine will coast to a stop and if the feed is engaged it won't stop the feed until the rotation comes to a complete stop and if you are going to use a VFD you sure dont want to open the output legs while it is running so that being said you could use a the drive to decrease stopping time of the drive motor.
With the correct drive and dynamic braking system you could make the spindle come to a stop quickly but the circuits need to be designed with the complete picture in mind not just a pretty red button that does nothing more than the existing on off circuit.

You SHOULD have a motor starter with thermal overload if you are NOT running a VFD.
We can make many recommendations but without completely understanding how you are going to power this (3 phase, vfd) and what your end goal is it will all just be confusing as each poster leads you down a different path.20210210_214858.jpg

Current setup is as follows: 3 phase input power, from RPC, to rotary switch, from rotary switch to motor. Not aware of a motor starter or thermal overload unless they are built into the motor. Am aware that killing power will not immediately stop the motor. Just want a way to kill power in the event of an emergency without having to activate the rotary switch. Have located the following switch but not sure if it will do what I want.

ES-P-230002​

Back