3 Phase Emergency Stop Switch

Great drawing nnam.
I see you copied it but it is still a great drawing.

I am aware of how a contactor works and, although an expensive and complex system, this would work however I would prefer a simple 3 pole e stop switch if one exists. KISS

Can you use the top item, circuit breaker only for your need? There are other variations without the fuse/breaker, which is basically 3 phase switch, you would pull down and up a handle to turn on or off. Unless you want a touch to shutdown button style, which is like a toggle. 3 phase is a heavy duty and it's hard to have a light touch cut off. High voltage is also a danger. There may not be a simple solution and cheap for this. Unless you can find a used set up somewhere people don't use anymore and throw away. I keep a pile of them.

I'm looking at a ES-P-230002 E stop switch. Would appreciate it if someone with more electrical knowledge than me would review the attached file and let me know if this switch will work for my application,

Attachments

• Estop.JPG
    Estop.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 15
The part that would make me think perhaps that isn't a good choice is the "Operational Rating" of 3A. Most 3 phase machines would use more than that. You would need one that could handle the full current level the machine will draw if you are not using a contactor or similar. The smallest I would use is the amperage level on the motor nameplate. Anything less risks various failure modes that could well result in the e-stop failing to stop the motor. Which in my mind would be worse than not having one at all. If it were me, I would likely want a large safety margin as well, 2x or so. Sadly, that is not going to be cheap.

Thanks ttabbal that is the information I needed. Guess I'll have to go with a contactor after all. Now to find a NC contactor.

If you go with an industrial type of switch, you buy the actuator and then buy the contactor block that screws to the back of the actuator body.

Here is one type you can buy through McMaster Carr. There are other designs that use the same principle. Just do a search in MC for 22 or 30 mm push button switches.

The issue with most E-Stop switches is that they cannot handle the current load of the motor which I assume is 2-3 Hp and you usually do not want 3 phase power/current switched at the front panel/machine. Typically, as others have noted, is to switch the contractor coil. You can buy an integrated contactor/thermal overload with E-Stop in an enclosure that could be mounted on the side or somewhere near the front. Having a thermal overload for the motor is probably a good idea. You would need to specify the voltage and the amperage of your motor.

As others stated, you need a motor starter.

It s a REQUIEMENT !

your motor has zero protection so overload cantoast the motor.

The starter should allow "remote control" so simple off the shelf panel switches solve that.

Many already built surplus items on ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My understanding of VFDs is that there should be no switches between the VFD and the motor. Dual speed switch excepted. Reversing is done through the VFD. However, the VFD should have an "E-Stop" function available that can be remoted. Two wires and a NC latching pushbutton should do the job. Worst case is to interrupt line power to the VFD.

Back