2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I much prefer reading about rescuing the old gear, but sometimes I have to buy modern tools to aid in restoring the old equipment. Mostly Shars in this order. I find it odd that I had to order from 3 supply houses to get what I wanted. Slitting saws are from Grizzly - but not the arbor. I was able to get boring bars & a BXA QCTP from Shars as well as the Clamping Kit. The screw jacks will be a welcome addition. My mill table measured out to 11/16" T nuts being just right. I like that 5/8 x 11 is what the studs are - just seams a common size as used on my mill.

IMG_20170623_160510200.jpg

Recent eBay wins showed up the same day. Isn't it great to get multiple boxes in the mail! Roper Whitney #5 junior hand punch missing the 3/32" die, plastisol handle and depth gauge - $24 including shipping. Eight brand new Thurston slitting saws for $18 including shipping. Impulse buy on a Accuromote depth gauge for $13 including shipping. Although it's plastic, it seems to repeat OK, will be for rough checks only until I get some confidence in plastic over my Mitutoyo depth mic.

Bruce

20170617_111706.jpg

Found an estate sale today. I usually don't go to tool sales if they don't have pics in the ad showing what they have. But it said machinist sale with lathes and mills so I took a chance.

I got these all this for $32o. At first he wanted $500 for the Volstro head and $500 for the dividing head. I told him we were too far apart. Offered him $250 for both.

So I went to find my girlfriend and while I was waiting for her he came back and said $300 for the two large items. He threw in the little rotaty table, clamp set, and spin fixture for $20.

I'm not even sure what the Volstro head is used for, but they go for $400 to $800 on Ebay.

So I took a chance. I'll probably sell the Volstro head.

20170624_121758.jpg 20170624_121908.jpg

I do believe you have scored very well! Guess it all depends on the dividing head as your ace. The Volstro part is interesting & perhaps your most valuable part - just never heard of them. I'm sure someone will see the value in getting it & make it worth your investment to get it put back in service!

Rough times for my tool addiction, but I did find 35 sets of cutters for my die head . Grand total $6.50 free shipping too. YUPP I'm on freeze no maka no money no spenda no money. But couldn't let these go each set should be $10 or so.

Found an estate sale today. I usually don't go to tool sales if they don't have pics in the ad showing what they have. But it said machinist sale with lathes and mills so I took a chance.

I got these all this for $32o. At first he wanted $500 for the Volstro head and $500 for the dividing head. I told him we were too far apart. Offered him $250 for both.

So I went to find my girlfriend and while I was waiting for her he came back and said $300 for the two large items. He threw in the little rotaty table, clamp set, and spin fixture for $20.

I'm not even sure what the Volstro head is used for, but they go for $400 to $800 on Ebay.

So I took a chance. I'll probably sell the Volstro head.

View attachment 236266 View attachment 236267
Soon as you sell it , you'll find a job to use it on. YUPP never find another

My deal just got sweeter.

When I was at the sale the guy was into flatheads that passed away. I do a lot of transmission work for flathead owners and I called a customer I sold a trans to yesterday. He high tailed it over and dropped about $2k on parts. I think he got 4 engines and several rear axles and a couple of transmission. I was talking to the son of the guy that died and told him what I do and I gave him one of my cards. He was pretty happy I called my customer. Said he owed me one.

When I got home just after I posted he called and said he found the tail stock for the dividing head. Yeah it was a 15 mile drive one way to get it in 100 degree heat, but I have a really good air conditioner in my new to me hot rod SUV I bought.

Feeling pretty good about what I spent. I even told my customer that all the twenties you gave me yesterday for the trans this guy has now. He just laughed at me.

20170624_170656.jpg
Soon as you sell it , you'll find a job to use it on. YUPP never find another

Yeah you are probably right. Found this vid on youtube.

Picked some stuff up..couple switch boxes from closed concrete company.big box of m3 drill bits.lathe tooling.yesterday saw ad on cl for two boxes of large gears in wooden boxes.one box can still read brown& sharpe..got both..both dividing heads already sold..one was laying on pallet outside covered in surface rust..my little dividing head doesn't use gears..oh yea..bought 12"x6 Seneca falls lathe..later model.no pictures yet..sorry to ramble on.also got vfd.new in box.1963.model vs-225..gears and vfd been in building over 35 years

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back