2017 POTD Thread Archive

For fast cooling a CO2 fire extinguisher works pretty good, but even cheaper is a bottle of CO2 from your local soft drink supplier (used in pre-mix dispensers). You will need to attach a hose to the CO2 bottle. A brass fitting and a short piece of garden hose works.

Crush the dry ice, mix with Acetone and you will get a -78°(C) bath. Don't stick your hand in it.

Liquid N2. Seen that used before.

Used it lots of times. Makes great ice cream too. Just a bit harder to come by in the home shop, and not everyone can get a Dewar easily.

Just 1/8 more thread, for bolt, and this....
View attachment 143781

thank you!

Charl

Been there done that. Caused some unflattering word combinations every time its happened here. Last time I had that dilemma I was able to freeze the tap and break it to get it out. I used a can of computer duster upside down to spray liquid on the tap and then a punch to break it up. Took several applications but worked reasonably well.

Crush the dry ice, mix with Acetone and you will get a -78°(C) bath. Don't stick your hand in it.
Great idea. Dry ice is pretty cheap here at $1 per pound and available at the local grocery store.
Robert

One note of caution working with dry ice besides the obvious low temperature and gloved handling is that it sublimates directly into CO2 and if you are working in a confined area and with large amounts of it, it can cause suffocation.

Coworker of mine had a problem driving back from a CO hunt with a cooler full of meat on dry ice. Ford Bronco, so enclosed and fairly small area. Just a thought of you are working with it.

Back