1969 Honda CT90 Riding Restoration

i have found this out after having to drill out hundreds of JIS screws.
all but a few were damaged by Neanderthals that didn't know the difference but, had a go anyway :bang head:
the other few damaged fasteners were from this Neanderthal, before i knew there was a difference in my youth.

Had to laugh at this Mike. As the old saying goes, "Been there , done that". I had several Japanese motorcycles in my youth and it took me a long time to figure out that those screws were not Phillips. I replaced many of them with socket head cap screws after removing the buggered screws with vise grips, drills, easy outs, etc.

Ted

I’ve got a 1972 with just over 200 miles on it. Found it in the back of my father in law’s garage when he passed. Needed to replace carburetor and clean and line the fuel tank and all new hoses. Runs like a top! This is the same bike I used in 1969 to get my motorcycle license. Goes just about anywhere. If you get stuck, pick it up and move it!

Had to laugh at this Mike. As the old saying goes, "Been there , done that". I had several Japanese motorcycles in my youth and it took me a long time to figure out that those screws were not Phillips. I replaced many of them with socket head cap screws after removing the buggered screws with vise grips, drills, easy outs, etc.
Ted
i'll be replacing a bunch of JIS screws on this resto :grin:

I’ve got a 1972 with just over 200 miles on it. Found it in the back of my father in law’s garage when he passed. Needed to replace carburetor and clean and line the fuel tank and all new hoses. Runs like a top! This is the same bike I used in 1969 to get my motorcycle license. Goes just about anywhere. If you get stuck, pick it up and move it!
very cool!
these are very dependable and well thought of machines.
slightly underpowered, but well designed nonetheless!

Update...

I wanted to give my son a running machine before Christmas came around.
i didn't care if it ran well, but i wanted him to at least hear it run on Christmas morning.
i was able to resurrect the diminutive 6v lead acid battery with an overnight charge on a 50's vintage Shumer 6v 4a battery charger
i dumped the old fuel which started to color yellow/brown and smelled a bit varnishy.
i swished some fresh gas around in the tank and dumped it out through the carburetor bowl drain screw to flush out most of the potential demons from the fuel system.
my good buddy was there to kick the bike over while i filmed the first breath in over 4 years !

She lives!!!!

Last edited:
i purchased a few more items for the CT90 project as follows...
Front wheel bearings 12.50 USD
Rear wheel bearings 17
Throttle cable (NOS) 12
Carburetor/Air box connector (rubber NOS) 40
center stand (used) 35
Chain adjuster set (NOS) 11
Points, condenser 20
parts running total so far is $380

i'm sure the parts total will be around $500 before i'm done
(famous last words :grin big:)

Hello again,
Tomorrow is Christmas Day. My family traditionally spends the day together exchange gifts and put the feed bag on.
On Christmas Eve i usually go to the in-law's parents house for the festivities .
Not this year.... :mad:- were gonna stay on lockdown- for many reasons- mainly for the health of our older family members.
we have made other arrangements to get gifts to the peoples , and have sent Christmas Cards, we'll also be face-timing.
it's not the same, but we'll get through and we look forward to brighter days ahead.
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

My son has no idea about his present yet.
i have kept it at the shop until this morning.
i brought it home and sneaked it into the garage, unbeknownst to the wee lad.
i took some photos of the bike after my road dog, the venerated "El Rojo Diablo" Ryan D. , did a spit shining on the lil beast

IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4395.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg IMG_4398.jpg

i added some spoke covers and replaced the rusted rear shocks.
i took the luggage rack of,
A) because it looks cool ;), B) because it will be easier to swing a leg over the seat for the boy.
i'll keep the rack for when it is needed again.

the bike runs but needs some parts installed, which will be chronicled in this thread!

Tune in again and Drink Your Ovaltine !!!!! :grin big:

Looks great!
Do grab some photos of the big reveal.
Merry Christmas to you and yours sir!

@Ulma Doctor ,

Mike that looks fantastic!

The only thing better for your son will be the time you two spend on the "fix 'em up".

Of course, he won't realize for a few years exactly what the best part of this Christmas was, but he will be all "shock and awe" tomorrow.

Well Done!
Merry Christmas.

-brino

@Ulma Doctor ,
Mike that looks fantastic!
The only thing better for your son will be the time you two spend on the "fix 'em up".
Of course, he won't realize for a few years exactly what the best part of this Christmas was, but he will be all "shock and awe" tomorrow.
Well Done!
Merry Christmas.
-brino
Thank you very much brino!!!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Back