1969 Honda CT90 Riding Restoration

Looks to be in excellent condition given it's past 50 years old!
I worked at the local Honda dealer when I was a teenager in the late 60's. Overhauled many, many of those 90 cc engines. :anon:
How are you with 50s? :grin:

Mike,

That looks like a great father-son project, thanks for bringing us all along!

I am already "watching" the thread.

-brino

I’ve made it to 72 so my teenage years were a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for not being more clear... I have a Honda 50 minitrail that needs the motor rebuilt and I keep procrastinating... it would fit in a box. And, I'm kidding. Id love to have that job magically done. I bought it for my grand kids and haven't finished The project in time for them to fit on it... :)

Last edited:
Sorry for not being more clear... I have a Honda 50 minitrail that needs the motor rebuilt and I keep procrastinating... it would fit in a box. An I'm kidding. Id love to have that job magically done. I bought it for my grand kids and haven't finished The project in time for them to fit on it... :)
Better get with the program.....it will seem like only a couple of months and they will start asking for the car keys...

Mike,
That looks like a great father-son project, thanks for bringing us all along!
I am already "watching" the thread.
-brino
Thanks brino !
i figured the motorcycle is the easiest/best place to start to teach the boy in the ways of knuckle bustin'

i started on the bicycle first with changing tires and wasting all my dad's wd-40 on the chain and anywhere else i thought needed lubrication.
my son will have the advantage of learning on an machine with exponential complexity.
i hope to erase any fears of mechanical or electrical system repair for the boy.
time will most certainly tell

Last edited:
I purchased some parts over the past couple days on EBAY from a few vendors.
i thought i would share the list and the (rounded up) prices as shipped to me, as follows...

6v Battery 20 (USD)
2-NGK D8HS plugs (vintage NOS) 20
#428 Chain 20.50
Tail Light Assembly (reproduction) 18.75
2 Rear Shock Absorber (reproduction) 60
2 Front Fort Gaiter and Fork Seal Kit 30
6V Ignition Coil with lead, & boot 12
Kick Starter Rubber Cover 6.50
Spoke Covers black (bling) 7
Brake Shoes (rear) 10.50
Carburetor w/air cleaner and inline fuel filter (reproduction) 21
Ignition Switch 11.50
total=approximately $240 USD so far

i'll be getting parts in the next few days.
shortly after Christmas the real fun will begin!

Last edited:
Update...
here is a excerpt from wiki-

The JIS B 1012 is commonly found in Japanese made equipment, such as cameras and motorbikes. Superficially it looks like a Phillips screw with narrower and more vertical slots, to give less tendency to cam out. The bottom of the recess is flat, and the point of the driver has to be blunt. A Phillips screwdriver has the same 26.5 degree cone angle but because of the tapered slots and pointed tip will not seat fully, and will damage the screw if forced. A correctly sized JIS driver will engage at full depth into a Phillips or Pozidriv head screw slightly loosely, but without damage. JIS heads are often identified by a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot.[25]
"JIS" standardized cruciform-blade screwdrivers are available for this type of screw, and should always be used to avoid head and driver damage.

since this is a Japanese manufactured motorcycle, it has the JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) bolts and screws that are metric threads.
If you ever try to put a #2 phillips bit into a JIS screw and put any pressure on the phillips bit, the screw will become useless and become more like a rivet at that point. the screw has been cammed out and will need to be removed by other means.
i have found this out after having to drill out hundreds of JIS screws.
all but a few were damaged by Neanderthals that didn't know the difference but, had a go anyway :bang head:
the other few damaged fasteners were from this Neanderthal, before i knew there was a difference in my youth.

I'll teach the boy the difference
i purchased him a set of JIS screwdrivers (so i don't have to give up mine :grin big:)
a first step be seems to me, would to explain the difference between using the wrong tool and using the right tool.
and the grand importance of using your first tool, your brain !
second i'll present him with the correct tool (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P8R2X3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

i have made a living by fixing broken things, from lawnmowers, to rolling cranes, from icemakers to tar kettles, from high speed weighing , wrapping systems and portion control slicing machinery, from hydraulics to pneumatics, from electrical to mechanical systems.
i don't say this to boast, but rather to explain that it all started for me when i first worked on something.
my intention is to pass as much as i can on to him, and to anyone else who is interested.

Mike,

The following URL link is for Dr. ATV website. They have an unrivaled inventory of parts, tools, shop manuals, etc. for all the smaller Hondas. And they're very nice. I buy virtually all my little Honda parts there. Located in Beatrice NE so shipments are really fast to where I live (Iowa).

Be careful though, once you start browsing the shopping cart fills up quickly!

Home URL
dratv.com

Enjoy,
Mike

I had a trail 50 back in the 60's while I was in grade school. Had a lot of fun with it. The only negative was the rear hub used a rubber dampener sandwiched between the wheel and the drive hub with nubs that protruded out. Well those nubs that locked the two pieces together kept braking off. No doubt do to the use. But got expensive to keep replacing so I ended up using bailing wire to wire the two together. It worked until the wire broke and then I would just grab another bundle of bailing wire and do it again.

After all, I grew up in dairy country and several of my friends families owned farms. There was always a mountain of bailing wire outside the barn. They never threw anything away. I remember my best friends dad's shop. He had a bucket of old spark plugs. I asked one day why he kept them. He just said, I may need one in a pinch someday. :face slap:

Back