1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

I never brazed with a carbon torch but I do a lot of carbon air arc gouge work shaving down large welds and gouging out welds for repairs it is very easy to shape stuff with an air arc gouging rig and it has the benefit of not putting a lot of heat into the work. I wonder if the air arc would work the same on the brazed area to shave it down.

bob

i have not considered using the air arc for excess brazing material removal, but i'm sure it would work!!!

for the delicate work i'm going to use a flapper disc on the 4.5" grinder and the Dremmel for finer work.

as always thanks for your continued support and interest.
my intention is to inspire others to take up any kind of torch and get to fixn' your broken cast iron!!!!
don't be afraid, you can do do it!!!!

I do everything i can to avoid grinding when i can. I would probably cut the raised part of the weld off with a cut wheel on a 4-1/2 inch grinder and finish off with the flap wheel.
20130222_133124_resized.jpg

This is an example of a weld which was originally a verticle full penetration weld joining plates 2" thick. Because the plates were out of plane and the joint would be visible in the final product a transition weld was required the plates were 3/4" out plane and a 1-24 inch transition was required = 18" transition. I welded horizontal layers from the original joint out to the left 18 inches then plane down the weld with carbon air arc it was finished with air grinder and polished with flap wheels. There were 4-50lb spools of welding wire in the transition. Using the carbon arc to plane down and shape the weld saves about a day of grinding.

this is not the original weld but one similar for reference.
IMG00130-20101025-1125.jpg

bob

20130222_133124_resized.jpg IMG00130-20101025-1125.jpg

that is some heavy welding there BOB!!!
:man:

thanks for the pictures and descriptions!!!

Thanks. I like heavy welding and i love my job, the guys i work with are great, but tinkering with my own stuff is at times more fun. I didn't mean to highjack the thread into a welding thing.

I do think your brazing with the carbon torch is a great way to fix that piece as the heat input to work is so much less. On that job we were taking all our restraints (used to fit up weldments) and run-off tabs off with the air arc gouging rig for that reason, on bigger welds we used cooperheat to keep the temp constant while welding and to control cooling post weld.

Bob

Last edited:
Re: 1940 South Bend 11" B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

Just a little suggestion Don't leave your washing soda in the house. I got 3 box's that my Father in law got for me in Winter Haven FL.

I left it in the house to long and SWMBO used 2 box's I got the other in my shop and she was eyein it today. She adds it to the laundry helps get my cloths clean.

All that being said your doing a great job on the lathe nice brazing to. Ya got to be careful with that torch it will give a good sun burn.

Paul

Thank you all for the comments and passed knowledge, this thread is for guys like us trading secrets and stories.
please don't be afraid to add you comments and methods.
i welcome them, it assures that my knowledge is not the only information one may draw upon.
a lot of knowledge is passed between people, i want that to continue.
the more we share, the more we learn,
the more we learn, the more we can do... it's a snowball effect.
the largest of tree, starts with the planting of a tiny seed.

as always thank you for you words of encouragement, and passed knowledge.
my intention is to make us all proud:saluteflag:

Thank you all for the comments and passed knowledge, this thread is for guys like us trading secrets and stories.
please don't be afraid to add you comments and methods.
i welcome them, it assures that my knowledge is not the only information one may draw upon.
a lot of knowledge is passed between people, i want that to continue.
the more we share, the more we learn,
the more we learn, the more we can do... it's a snowball effect.
the largest of tree, starts with the planting of a tiny seed.

as always thank you for you words of encouragement, and passed knowledge.
my intention is to make us all proud:saluteflag:

Agreed, this is a great forum with great members of all experience levels with no ego's that are helpful and willing to share ther knowledge and help each other. There is no one way to do things, there are often many ways, and each achieves the same end result. And on top of it all we have a bunch of fun too!

i'm a little slow in the postings this week as far as Henrietta is concerned.
ive been working on my old jet horizontal powered hacksaw and cutting up some heavy stock for a work project.

i made repairs to the compound rest. a picture for posterity ...
i'll be making more repairs to the compound.
i'll do my best to show the process.
thanks for looking!!!

CRfix15.JPG CRfix16.JPG CRfix1.JPG

Last edited:
i have had a lot of stuff hit me lately, all good stuff, but it has kept me very busy.
work has been hectic to say the least.
i was given an opportunity to score a vintage 1955 shopsmith mark5 ("Greenie" as they are known)
my free time has been split between family duties and shopsmith teardown/research/knowledge quest.
i haven't forgotten about Henrietta, to the contrary.
i'm lucky enough to be included in Richard King's scraping class the end of this month in Oakland, Ca.
with the learned knowledge, i plan to take Henrietta to new heights.

i'll post more photos of the completed repairs to the compound rest in the next few days.
and more pictures of the rest of the rebuild process as i can!

thanks for reading my ramblings, i'll be back on track shortly!!!!
:))

Back