1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

I haven't had a lot of extra time lately, but i did manage to get in some brazing time.:welding:

For your viewing pleasure, one neglectfully damaged lower compound rest weldment.
please be warned the images are graphic and nauseating....:lmao:
CRfix25.JPG
CRfix26.JPG
CRfix27.JPG

as before i preheated the weldment to 300*f and used a lower flame to keep a little better control of the rod.
being memorial day, my welder's supply is closed. i may have used a slightly smaller rod to control the puddle a little more precisely . i got er' done a little sloppier than i would have liked, but 70% of the material will be removed anyway.
she's never going to make parts for the space program ,heart valves, or Fire Engine Pumps.

I'll be ok, but the perfectionist inside screams , take er' back down and do it again with smaller rod.
i amuse myself sometimes with random OCD issues.

i'm not sure why, but some things seem like they could be done a little better, no matter how good the job.
i guess that's why doctors and lawyers "Practice" their professions.
I am an imaginary doctor....:thinking:
I suppose i can adopt the same philosophy , to "Practice" repairs of all kinds:lmao:

thanks for reading the lunatic rants of a Proud American!!!

For those whom served our country and gave all, our unending gratitude.
THANK YOU
:saluteflag:

CRfix25.JPG CRfix26.JPG CRfix27.JPG

TAAAADDDDAAAAAA!
i think she's going the direction i would like her to go!

CRfix28.JPGCRfix29.JPGCrfix30.JPG
CRfix1.JPG CRfix26.JPG

whaddya ya think?

CRfix28.JPG CRfix29.JPG Crfix30.JPG CRfix1.JPG CRfix26.JPG

Last edited:
I agree, I think she's getting there, looking good. It's amazing how much material was missing.

Thanks Greg,
i was cringing at the thought of the sounds generated by the crashing of the compound.
i can only assume the machine was unattended.
i further assume the lathe was working on something large when the horrific incident occurred.
i'm of the further assumption that the machine was probably sent to storage, and has not operated since.
i'm slowly chipping away at the problems and follies!!
it's really fun to mess with metal!!

It's Saturday night, just after 8:00 pm. I just returned home from Richard King's Hand Scraping Class.

I have to say to anybody reading, TAKE HIS CLASS.

Not only is he a great teacher, he's a great man as well.

I used to think of myself as machine knowledgeable.Apparently, i'm not even close to being knowledgeable.
I have been humbled once again, in a good way.Richard King has forgotten more about machinery than i'll probably ever learn.
i can say with pleasure that i'm proud to have met the man, and lucky to have his knowledge imparted.

i have used my share of machinery, and fixed my share and someone else's share of machinery, but i never new how they make precision mating surfaces,precision. i have been shown the way to precision and how that is accomplished, and have used the same tools and methods that professional machine builder's use on high precision equipment.
i'll be able to save thousands of dollars being able to do it myself, armed with new perspective and more importantly new knowledge.

Richard King's class and teachings will be invaluable in the restoration of Henrietta.

in future posts, you'll get a look at the results of what i have learned.
Going back to Day 3 of the scraping class tomorrow, i'm anxious to see what other information i can soak up.

as always thanks for reading.

i have the first picture of Henrietta's first scraped part.
the part is scraped to .0005" accuracy.
i'm quite proud to say that i scraped a part that was contacting in a very few points and not perpendicular to the saddle casting as a result. the amount of material i removed was about .0025" to achieve the scraped dimension and back to perpendicular.

a couple of pictures...
scrape1-jpg.54758

V2CVLRHL_Ee5kviulpsDRrFH1sHtPRExOSRoZLMPp3uO5kmWINlnkh1nistp6p-xwJ8hE4kYzdb-iqvndZo=w640-h480-no.jpg
i had a great experience in Richard Kings scraping class. i'm looking forward to the next time class meets up!

Scrape1.JPG

Scrape2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor,

Is the SB on hold, finished or...? Great job so far and have enjoyed every word and picture.

Any updates?

Don't leave us hangin' man.

Again, great job and looking forward to updates.

Thanks for posting,

Dale

Doctor,

Is the SB on hold, finished or...? Great job so far and have enjoyed every word and picture.

Any updates?

Don't leave us hangin' man.

Again, great job and looking forward to updates.

Thanks for posting,

Dale
Yeah, what he said! LOL.

Yeah, what he said! LOL.

I'm sorry guys, i didn't mean to leave you all hanging.
the project is moving very slowly forward.
i promised that i would keep the thread open until i was finished, i'll keep the promise.

i made the purchase of some newer equipment to help me in my regular work.
fortunately the newer pieces of equipment will fund the ongoing restoration.
i didn't want to bore you all with simple retapping of bolt holes and cleaning,
so i haven't had much juicy stuff.

in a few months there is plans to have a write up worth viewing.

i apologize for my lack of attention to you guy's, and to Henrietta.
life got in the way, but i'm never really far away.
thank guys that's why i do it , it's for the interested!

Back