1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

I made some brazing repairs to Henrietta's badly crashed compound rest in the last episode...
i used the Twin Carbon Arc to achieve the build up, i was not able to continue the practice on this repair, my carbons became too short an i was not able to continue until i receive some more A/C copper coated electrodes.
in the interest of moving things along and as to not get too stagnated on an irrelevant issue such as to how the brazing was accomplished, i decided to break out the old oxy/acetylene rig and braze the rest of the build up.

CRfix17.JPGCRfix18.JPG
CRfix19.JPG
CRfix20.JPG
CRfix21.JPG

i placed the compound rest back into the 350* for an hour then turned off the stove and let the casting cool on fire bricks.
i'll take more pictures as i start knocking the brazing back down.

as always,
thanks for taking the time to read these posts.
i'll do my best to describe the up coming operations.

CRfix17.JPG CRfix18.JPG CRfix19.JPG CRfix20.JPG CRfix21.JPG

I am watching and learning- brazing and welding are the weakest discipline of my metalworking skills-

Have you heard of people "spray welding" on rotating parts on the lathe, and cutting them again? An actual "put back on" tool! Hah

Bernie

Sure, Bernie. That's called (one brand name anyway) Metallizing. Metco makes the equipment. It can use a variety of metals in wire or powder form. I used to run one pretty regularly. That one used wire, and operated much like a cutting torch with a wire feed, and about 100 PSIG air pressure to spray the metal. You can shoot someone across the shop and send them for cover. The normal material we used for building up shafts and such was about like cast iron to machine. Very small chips almost like powder. We could spray aluminum, and some pretty hard stuff also that you had to grind. I can't recall what it was.

More recently, there have been developed more similar techniques using plasma instead of oxy/fuel. Even tungsten carbide matrices can be sprayed for extreme wear surfaces.

So there really IS a "put back on" tool! Hah hah.. I could see that saving a lot of money on complicated with one bad, worn, or damaged surface.

Bernie

Here's a little tidbit i just recently found out.
in a conversation about my lathe the subject came up the the lathe came from Mare Island. my Brother in law said that his
father ,grandfather,and great grandfather all worked at the Mare Island Naval Shipyards.
The weirdest part is that they were all involved with submarine construction.
His Grandfather and great grandfather were machinists, his father was and electrical engineer.
sad to say,they are all no longer with us. Cheers!
the info does give me another avenue to research, who knows what may lie beneath the unturned stone.

I made some brazing repairs to the compound rest and started to remove excess material....
crfix23-jpg.53969

CRfix22.JPG

I'll post more pictures of the repair as it progresses,
thanks for following!

CRfix23.JPG CRfix22.JPG CRfix2.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Mike!! Just courious, how long do those oxy/act tanks last you?

Thanks,
Chris

when brazing and welding the O2/actyl tanks will last forever, cutting uses up a lot of oxygen.

to be honest i just filled the O2 tank last week, the last time it was filled 1991.
the acetylene tank is a little older but still shows 100 psi.
the guy at my local welding house only charged 20 bucks to re-certify the old O2 tank .
i don't think i'm going to get as lucky on the acetylene tank when it's depleted.

i did some more brazing and here's a look...
crfix1-jpg.54157

_o0O7r0i2owQmu-0O62QkUI8Y21XFYdyRxyi_4DYC-urleF2HFEYulqYVnzqJcAOlJO48TyiCNwpWeZzMys=w480-h640-no.jpg

she's cooling down slowly.
i'll be looking to knock the brazing back down and see where i need to go next.

CRfix24.JPG CRfix1.JPG

Last edited:
Back